Q-boat and smaller paddlers

Yeah on the Island boat

– Last Updated: Jan-10-07 11:45 PM EST –

(Sorry, but no go on the Greenlander Pro for a 5'6" lean person. Close enough to me to assure you that it's too big. I've paddled that boat.)

As to whether I know the Islander boat - my husband is the one who suggested it. A a local
paddler showed up with it at an evening paddle and was instantly mobbed by a few of us. We'd only just heard about the boat, and golly gee someone shows up with one.

I have not had a chance to get into it myself. But I have seen up close how it sits and performs with Jim in it, the local woman who has one and another very skilled woman paddler. Both the women are about my size, two inches shorter than you and within ten pounds on the weight. The boat is clearly intended for our size - the rear deck was nearly awash with Jim in it - and it performed beautifully for the women. Nicely made too, some nice design ideas.

Frankly, this is one of those boats that comes with strong recommendations from all the right people, whose judgement I would trust all the way.

Back to the thighs, I have a lovely road bike on the first floor that saw almost no pavement this last couple of seasons because I've been focusing on paddling. So I know about biking thighs. You shouldn't have any problem that way with the boats I have mentioned - there'll be room.

You also should understand that what seems quite tight when you are starting out in more serious boats doesn't feel nearly that much so after you've started adding the appropriate skills like bracing, rolling and sculling. For that stuff, you want the thigh braces to be right there for you, not someplace that you have to reach up or around to grab.

LV kayaks
I’m 5’9" 150 lbs and have test-paddled the Anas Acuta and Romany LV and own both a Pintail (recently acquired) and Tempest 165 – all are good LV boats. I’ve used the Tempest quite a bit in rock gardens and surf and like its responsiveness and manuverability. The Pintail (OC) turns on a dime and practically rolls itself. A couple of friends of mine of slightly smaller stature paddle the P&H Sirius and love it – but it’s an advanced boat and needs lots of edging to turn quickly.

The problem for me in higher-volume boats like the P&H Bahiya and Capella 169 is that with a lighter paddler like myself (even with full gear) they ride much higher in the water, increasing both their wind profile and decreasing their primary stability. The added length does add speed, though for a fast expedition kayak for smaller paddlers VCP has introduced the Nordkapp LV, which I was able to paddle on demo day at the local shop.

Good Hunting, and test paddle everything you can get your hands on!

islander + greenlander pro
Celia,

Thanks for the response (and to all others as well). The lack of a skeq concerns me on the Islander, but I am entertaining getting the used one over a romany.

I have paddled the GL pro and it does not feel too big. Definetly needs good amounts of paddling but definetly doable and definely feels controllable. That would be my cruiser/expedition boat. Not sure though … heard the Q-boat is supposed to come in LV soon.

Anyways looks like the Islander seems to be pretty promising. The question is … for roughly the same money what would you have … a romany or the qaarsut?

Thanks a bunch.

-assad

romany vs romany lv
Is there a difference between the romany and romany lv in terms of it paddling? I heard the LV is slightly slower …

Still awake so…
So it sounds like you had a better response to the GPro than I did. I envisioned having to lift it over fully on edge all day long, given its volume it’d be a real lift rather than just being able to drop my weight - it seemed like it’d be awfully tiring by later in the day.

Hmm - between the Islander and the Romany… and the Islander available doesn’t have a skeg, the Romany does? Do I have that right?

It’s a darned close call no matter what.

I’d check out a couple of things before writing a check. First, try to get a sense of hull drag and/or relative speed of each hull. The Islander may be a smidge faster, you may care about that. If you are in contact with Maine Island Kayak, you can ask them about that. The other suggestion would be to try and get a hold of a present owner of the Island boat, the second woman I mentioned above, and talk to her about the boats. I can assure you that you’ll get a useful comparison of the two boats. I’ll email you what I have on how to get to her.

… and so it goes
"So it sounds like you had a better response to the GPro than I did."

Yes and no … I paddled it for a very very short time. Plus I am coming from a Novus Composite NC 17 which makes edging (correcting/turning) a real chore! So it may be more work than a snug fitting boat … but I never really sat in a snug fitting boat extensively.

“Hmm - between the Islander and the Romany… and the Islander available doesn’t have a skeg, the Romany does? Do I have that right?”

I believe the way the Islander was designed it did not need (according to designers) a skeg. Something about a protruding keep line. So you are right. The Romany I am looking at has a skeq. The Islander does not.

Thanks for the email message as well. Sent an email to that person.

-Assad

romany vs romany lv
Supposed to be the same hull on both, so there should be no difference is speed.

The Romany is not a fast boat. I’m always stunned at the size of the bow wake when I sprint in my Romany.

The Romany is not about speed but responsiveness and support. It is a great learning platform which makes bracing, rolling and ruddering easy. It is a highly rockered boat with a relatively flat bottom and soft edged hard chines. Very solid primary and secondary stability while being very maneuverable.

Romany vs Romany LV speed
It really depends on the size and ability of the paddler. I’ve paddled both, though not as an A-B comparison for speed, and believe I was faster in the Romany LV.

then Valley needs to change its website
when you call up its page, you get a picture of the AA with an ocean cockpit, but down below, when you click “cockpit”, a keyhole cockpit is listed as a standard feature:

http://www.valleyseakayaks.com/anasacuta.htm