Q boat vs. Explorer

Not the comfy chair!!!
Brit boats and Brit humor are healthy companions.

Q vs. Explorer round duece
Paddlers,

Thank you for your intricate responses and complete opinions.

I think I have a better handle on things. For some individualized clear up, I currently own the Q boat; it was purchased in the fall, and I spent the winter as a guide in Mexico (thus it hasn’t gotten the full all conditions test). I have come across a deal on an Explorer, and as the flagship boat I’ve seen day in and day out in our program, from other guides, in the magazines, the wheels got turning. However, for that exact reason, a large part of me thinks to continue conditioning with the Q, because it is not the Explorer, because it fits me quite well, and surfs like a champ. In regards to ‘equiptment’ who ever made mention on that topic is right, there will be no difference in my paddling, safety, repair,camping gear from a three day trip; yet I will be carrying A LOT more food. The only thing that could SWAY me from the Q is the added storage (which may not even be relevant I am not certain) the other boat may have to offer. I haven’t had the chance to bust out the PACK DOWN challenge, have all my gear and stuff it in each boat side by side and see which isn’t more hard pressed for space, and handles as I want on the h20…

As I have spent the better half of my life paddling I have come to know the best boat happens to be the one you are in. You generally can make things work. But as my mind has been molded by the Carribean sun, I wanted to drop a shout to the community, who may have an tighter insight to details I may have completely missed.

I thank you all for your time, responses and who knows, if folks are paddling up on the great lakes this summer perhaps our paths will cross.

Health, happiness, and laughter your way…

Saludos

Brian

never ask for advice
on P-Net as to which boat would be best for cetain things—you will get a thousand answers.

a thousand answers
I thought there was only one true answer :wink:

you’re both right

– Last Updated: Apr-29-08 12:18 PM EST –

Personally I found the explorer lacking something. It's a seaworthy stable boat but I didn't warm to it. But then, I do trips as well as day paddles. So obviously this is subjective, which is why it's less important to go on someone else's recommendations and more on your own use and seat experience.

For a long trip it might be the ticket but there are other options out there.

resale value?
The Explorer, more well known and in demand, might be an easier resale should you decide to sell in the future.

Where are you going?
If you’ve been paddling the better part of your life you are already a free thinker who will sort the boat thing out easily. What interests me is where are you headed?

Explorer vs ?
I paddled an Explorer for many years it has it’s advantages.

The one thing I didn’t like was I thought it had too much primary stability compared to say the Valley (Nordkapp, Aquanaut…)and many other kayaks.

This means a little more wasted energy from drag and slighltly more effort edging.

I don’t know many people who will say that the Valley boats aren’t stable, they are.

I go back and forth between the Nordkapp and the Explorer and I’m splitting hairs, but I feel the Nordkapp an all around better expedition boat.

I know I’m only comparing the two most common expedition boats, there are other excellent manufacturers out there.

So you already own the Q-boat?
Well since you own a Q-Boat, I think you know that you have a fine expedition boat.

What I would do is is force you paddling partners to let you trade places with them. It can be enlightening.

Just because the Explorer is more popular doesn’t make it the best.

Opinions vary. I like a boat with less primary stability and an ocean cockpit, most paddlers would say that I’m on crack. I have my reasons.

You may try the Explorer and say, hey this kinda sucks and you’ll have your reasons or you may like it a lot. It is a pickup truck, but you may want something more sporty.

Foster Legend
Just stirring the pot.

More volume, faster, expedition proven, great fun to paddle, solid build… If I had to do a trip like yours, this would be my choice, but obviously not yours

between the Nordkapp and the Explorer
is the Aquanaut. More reassuring than a Nordkapp. Faster and livelier than an Explorer.

IMHO, Valleys tend to have lighter primary than Explorers or Romanys. They also feel more ‘fluid’ to me in chop and snotty seas.

I’ve found that my Aquanaut feels somewhat tender to novices who feel secure in an Explorer. My Nordkapp LV at times gets my attention. More than one paddler with whom I’ve had exchange is selling or has sold off their Nordlow because of the amount of attention they feel it requires.

Q boat…
If you already have the Q boat and like it and it fits…stick with it. In this case it is the safest bet for you because it is a known entity.

Matt

Stick with the Q!
The ‘other’ boat you mention is just plain boring. There. Problem solved. Time for a beer. :slight_smile:

Rocking chair vs. Adirondack
Depends on the porch and the posterior.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Dogmaticus

trade it in for a Tempest 180
:_}

another consideration
I’m 5’8" and 165#. The Aquanaut and explorer both feel overly large to me. I have been in a Nord and while I didn’t like the peaked deck, it felt more appropriate for my size.

This is why this is such an individual choice.

Nordkapps
don’t need more attention…they need to be ignored and let your hips loose so the boat is able to do what it’s designed to do.

It’s paddlers paying too much attention to them that gets the paddler into trouble. Tense paddlers and paddlers with balance issues need to beware, but not relaxed waterbabies…

same with rolling. they don’t have a flop edge that some people depend on to keep them in control…(people call this secondary stability, but it’s still a flop edge)

Nordkapps are a 360 degree boat and deserve a 360 degree paddler. if you are not that kind of paddler. then the boats charteristics are what are not for you and the paddler should choose something else.

I think that there are reasons that certain paddlers don’t prefer Nordkapps over other kayaks, I seriously doubt than any seasoned skilled paddler has attention problems with the new line of Nordkapps. The older ones had some definate quirks, but the new series is not the Nordkapp of old. And Needs no attention , it needs to be treated like an extention of the paddlers body, not a thing you sit in.

This is not a kayak for just everyone and was never ment to be…The old orginal Carolina was designed to be that…anybody can paddle it

If doing an expedion, the Nordkapp should always be among the boats for consideration.

(My opinion only)(just getting tired of the false representation of the Nordkapp and this need to pay attention to an excelent design) paddle more, pay attention less, find and keep your center…centered

Rant over

Best Wishes

Roy

I have to agree with Rick
Go with the kayak that you have the most experience in and feel the most comfortable in. A long expedition is not the time to experiment. Save that luxury for some day trips.

Have a safe and fun expedition!

Bowler1
Hi Matt

Since I have your old Greenlander Pro I felt I could chime in and remark that you shouldn’t compare the NDK Explorer with a Ford Explorer - as it gives the NDK Explorer a bad name!! Ford Explorers had tipping issues, are hogs on the road, totally inefficient mode of travel, and smell BAD!!

Why not compare it to a ride on a toboggan vs a luge…oh yeah, turning or stopping the toboggan is near impossible, so guess that’s a bad comparison too.

I personally liked John March’s comments above…but then, we are Black Pearl Brothers-of-the-cloth so that probably taints my opinion there.

Sheesh, now I can’t seem to remember WHY I am posting at all!!!

Guess it’s time to go back to paddling the GP or Aral…

Scott