Q boat vs. Explorer

submerging back decks
well that depends on your weight and whether your packing the kitchen sink or not…following BrazilBrazils suggestion of ultra or lightweight backpacking techniques your kit load not including fresh water would be around 30 pounds including winter gear…6 pounds of that is food for a net of 24 pounds, continueing the 2lb/food/day 10 days would get you to 46 pounds…this is not including extra paddle, coveral cag, and the like. If going out for ten days you’d have to be real heavy to wash the back deck…speaking of, about 5 or 6 years ago I met the guy who did the around the US paddle…me and Kayak Jeff helped him lug his Nordkapp above the tideline…I couldnt believe how heavy it was and he did say that for many a mile his back deck was awash, he’s the guy who had a hockey stick on the back for rednecks and rattlesnakes.

Love tales of the unknown
I love these stories of folk who are unsponsored and unknown among the “in” paddlers, often using gear that is not thought “up” to expedition use by “in” paddlers, just going out and doing major trips and having grand adventures. Reinforces my faith that the spirit of true adventure is still alive and well.

seen quite a few Pintails

– Last Updated: May-02-08 9:55 AM EST –

The Pintail has been around for a long time. So, there are a lot of Pintails out there. Heck, the Romany was developed starting from a Pintail mold.

The Q boat was introduced only 4 or 5 years ago.

chopped mat is weak in tension
as it has no continuity of the fibers themselves. Keep in mind that the resin is extremely weak in tension, and thus it is the job of the embedded fiber to provide tensile strength. This explains in part, why a chopped-mat boat is heavier than it’s counterparts. It has to be to provide close to the same strength. Not “bad”, just “inefficient”.

Pintail
I have a 2003 keyhole cockpit Pintail, kevlar, foot pump, yellow over yellow with black trim, great conditon: it is one sweet boat in lumpy water and surf. If it had an ocean rather than keyhole cockpit, I’d keep it for sure but am mostly paddling low volume Greenland kayaks these days. Anyone willing to travel to NC to pick it up and 2K to spend, email me offline. John

Q vs Explorer reprise
Salty,

Once upon a time I posted something here about a Q boat vs. and Explorer. During a recent search of something totally relevant to my current existence I came across the old thread. I don’t know if I ever answered your question about where I was going…

http://sessiononsuperior.blogspot.com

That should do the trick. Thanks again for making a reply and I hope your paddling endeavors serve you well…

health, happiness and laughter your way…

Cheers

Brian