qcc 400

I am still pretty new to kayaking I have a zora sport which I really like. However I want to move up. The QCC 400 has really could my eye.

Iam 5.5 145lb and 55 years young. My question is this would this be a good fit for my size. I am thinking about driving up to see if I can test one of these before I buy.

Ask Phil
at QCC kayaks, he will know.

QCC Selection
I am about your size and age and have a 400 and love it. I would like to be a 600 kind of person but every word on the web page for the 400 in the description and the comments told me the boat was me:

http://www.qcckayaks.com/kayaks/model.asp?model=q400x

See this as a starting point:

http://www.qcckayaks.com/kayak_selector.asp

If you then request a consultation, they will call you.

Ask Phil
he will direct you to the proper sized kayak for your build. You will probably be matched to the 400,600 and 700 if speed is more of a requirement for you than stability.

I have had the 400x for 2 years and it is a nicely made boat. Perfect for day trips, camping trips, fishing, photography, etc. It will keep up with the longer touring boats if you do alot of club paddles. It will not be faster when they get into sprint mode, however.

The boat with about an extra 100lbs of food/water and equipment (I weigh 160) does not feel sluggish at all and it is very easy to paddle and keep a 3.5 mph touring pace for miles. The boat does not need a rudder even in higher winds. It adds about 5lbs to the boat weight. I got it to help control drift when fishing tidal rivers.

Great kayak
The most important thing is to think hard about where you want to go with kayaking. If you want to get into skills development (BCU/ACA) or rolling, then you may consider starting with the 600. It will challenge you as a beginner but you will never grow out of it.

Talking to Phil is great advice. I’d just add, listen to him, too. He tried to convince me to get the 600 and I didn’t listen, then within a year bought a longer, narrower kayak.

Lyn

Get a 600
For your height and weight it should be perfect.

It is much faster and more responsive than a 400

Cheers,

JackL

Either / or

– Last Updated: Oct-01-06 2:25 PM EST –

I agree that either the Q400 or Q600 could work out very well for you, depending on your personality, your approach to paddling, and your paddling goals.

For my take on the two boats, you might check out http://www.touringkayaks.com

hmmm
I like the boat but I think it’s a bit big/deep for you. Unless you need all that stability or plan on carrying stuff you may find yourself bobbing around a lot in wind/waves. Depends on use. If you never plan on learning how to roll then the stability of the 400 is a good idea, if you think you might learn how to roll the 600 would be a better idea. Personally I think it’s better to get the smallest boat possible than the biggest. If your cruising speeds are around 3mph a superlight unruddered QCC300 would be fun, it would be faster than the Zoar Sport and a lot lighter as well as easy to control in wind/waves.

It all depends…
The QCC400X was the first touring boat for me, after using a wide rec-boat. The 400X gave me a lot of confidence in my first year or so of paddling, even out on Lake Superior. But, as my skills grew, I felt the boat was too roomy and “loose” for me, so I now have a 600X, which fits me better and I really love. So, it all depends on you, how at ease you feel on the water, what your intentions are, etc. For me, I was glad to have the 400X to start with…it was what I needed at the time.

QCC 700x
I just got my QCC700x last week. I had been using a Perception Eclipse 16 for the previous 7 months and liked the boat very much. I am 5’7" and 180 lbs. I was worried that the 700 might be difficult for me to get used to. I was very wrong. The difference in initial stability was minimal. Secondary stability was dramaticaly better. I don’t plan to go camping with this boat, however there is a huge amount of storage. It does take a bit more muscle to get it going but it goes much faster. Turning with the rudder does take a lot more effort for me, but I’ve only used the boat 2 times, learning curve I hope. I paddle 12+ mi. per day 4 or 5 x per week at about 5.5 mi. per hr. and sprint to 6.5. If you get the chance to test drive various QCC boats, you will feal which one will keep you happy long into the future. GOOD LUCK!

Qcc reply
I wish to thank all of you that responded to my question. I will give Phil a call and see what he recommends. I am looking forward to expanding my skills and learn to roll. Lake Michigan is only 5 miles from my home and I paddle on the lake in calm weather. Everyone have a great day!

$.02
600 then add 15lbs of weight behind the cockpit if you want more stability.