QCC 700 Comments

I’m looking at a QCC 700 and an Current Designs Infinity. Like the stats on both but haven’t been able to paddle the QCC. I like speed and a reasonable amount of primary stability, which is my linger concern in not having tried the QCC. The Infinity felt fine. (BTW- I tried a Eddyline Falcon that was incredibly rocky for primary and know that I don’t want that) The 700 is supposed to be a faster boat and handle as well. Any comments. I’m 6’ and 190# with long legs.

Greatly appreciate any insights and thoughts on either boat or an offering up of another suggestion. Selecting a new kayak has been a challenge to say the lest. Fun though!

QCC
Those 700X’s are as stable as anything. I wouldn’t even worry about it. They have a satisfaction guarantee too, I think it even covers return shipping. I have had one for 6-7 years now, and love it. They are quite fast for a touring class boat, and the hatches eat up all the gear you can throw at them.

Seats kinda suck but you can remove them easy enough. I believe ONNO sells a replacement. I highly recommend the 700.

Owned a fiberglass falcon
I now have a QCC700. I think you will find that they have similar initial stability. The Falcon was my first sea kayak after a lot of WW paddling. It seemed really tippy to me at the time. But the fact is that it is actually very stable if you relax and let it do its own thing. The same is true of the 700. If you decide to order a 700, not only does it come with a guarantee, they will ask you about your leg length and position the foot supports accordingly.

qcc 700
I have owned a 700 for several years and find it just as stable as my CD Sirocco w/ a 23 inch beam - if not more stable. I am 5’11 190 lbs. When I paddle w/ groups I usually use the sirocco because the qcc is too fast.

I am 6’3" 245lbs with13 feet, I fit in
the boat well and find it very comfortable. The stability is good and something that you will acclimate your self to in short order. I was challenged by my Nordkapp stability at first. You will paddle right through these issues if they come up at all. The 700 has a good stability profile. The two things I found hard to get used to were the rudder :frowning: :frowning: yuck! and the bow of the boat seems unaffected by the waves as it just goes right through them with no noticeable bobbing. I like my bobbing. All of my brit boats bob. This is obviously one of the reasons the 700 is so fast (no wasted energy moving up and down, all forward). Great company, great boat. Bill

I love my rudder
I love the rudder on my QCC. All my boats have them. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

QCC 700
Good thoughts to all. Keep them comming. Any other comments on the NC boat which someone has just raised?

stability, etc.
The nice thing about the Q700 is that its efficiency can be easily noticed at moderate effort. You don’t have to be a racer. On flat water I cruise in my Seda Ikkuma or CD Solstice at 4.0 to 4.2 kts. In the 700 it is at 4.4 to 4.6 kts, as measured by a knotmeter.

However, the Q700 is definitely less stable than either the Ikkuma or GTS, but not at all twitchy. Much better than a Legend or Nordkapp.

The rudder is fine. It could be a bit bigger, perhaps. I would not get one without a rudder.

Ask Steve if You Can
get a 700 with a Feather Craft rudder: http://www.feathercraft.com/accessories/rudders-hardshell.php

For starters, the Smart (sic) Track syatem has way too many moving parts and too small a blade.

Rebecca and I were able to get our QCC’s fitted with Feather Craft rudders, which have bigger blades, store on the boat in the blade folded-down position, and are a whole lot easier to maintain/repair in the field than the Smart Track system.

Mike

Feathercraft
A fixed footbrace rudder system is essential to get the most out of the Q700, or any ruddered boat. Can that be arranged with a Feathercraft rudder?

Different Rudders for Different Folks

– Last Updated: May-08-10 8:58 PM EST –

gjfl2,

To get an answer to your question about a solid foot brace system working with a Feather Craft rudder, suggest that you contact “Mike B” on the Kayak Building Forum:
http://www.kayakforum.com/cgi-bin/Building/index.cgi/md/read/id/179739

For a good discussion of some of the Smart Track rudder system’s issues, suggest the following p-net post:
http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=658532

For detailed instructions on how to adjust a sticking Smart Track rudder, try this recent p-net post:
http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=1164401 And I agree with the original poster (who happens to be gjfl2) on the complexity of the Smart Track System: “jackl, I did not realize that the system was that complex and I do not think that I am up to taking it apart.”

For the type of paddling that I do in which a rudder is rarely deployed, I need a rudder system that has proven reliable, is mechanically simple and is easily maintained in the field – a Feather Craft rudder with Yakima foot pedals and rails works well for me.

Your experiences may, and likely will vary.

Mike

Smart Track Rudder

– Last Updated: May-08-10 11:10 PM EST –

Feathercraft rudders are simple and strong but they are also heavy, they catch more wind, they create more drag, and (unless modified) they don't provide solid footbracing.

So . . . choose your poison! I've worked with dozens of boats with Smart Track rudders (as well as the Feathercraft rudders). Personally, for the paddling I do, I would choose the Smart Track, hands down. (I also understand the reasons some would choose the Feathercraft.) I've never had a problem with a Smart Track that required more than a 5 minute repair.

See the Rutabaga article at http://www.rutabaga.com/page.asp?pgid=130

. . . Or you could always go with a skeg.

Bad Link?
Water_Walker,

Can’t get your link to work.

Mike

updated link
Sorry, link 2 posts above is now updated.