QCC 700 Seat suggestions

Hello all it has been a while!

Well, I purchased my QCC 700 last year took it out a couple times then had major back surgery. Yesterday I took it out for the first time this year. I paddled for about an hour. When I got out my left leg was a stick. I couldn’t feel it, move it or anything. I did have to take my feet off the pegs a few times and wiggle my feet around during the trip but there must be something I can do to reduce some of this. Maybe a more supportive rear brace on the seat. The stock seat seems to push on my kidneys quite a bit. Anyone have similar problems or suggestions?

Maybe daily stretching for the legs
and back would help.

try…
under thigh pad… sea line inflatable one is a GOD send… or even a pool noodle…

Specifics that worked for me and others
1. Loose the seat they supply, it’s terrible and belongs in a rec boat, not a sea kayak. It will cause you to slouch, slip and slop around and top/sides will bite into you, etc. All this you already know.

2. Sit on the bare seat pan, no pad over it (remove Velcro and glue).

3. Install an IR Reggie 2.0 backband. Drill new holes a little lower and centered on the seat posts. Attach the ratchet straps there. Add some hooks on the web straps and attach to rear of seat, using those straps to keep the band as low as you can possibly get it. Provides hip support you need, not back support you don’t. Once installed, learn not to really lean into it much if at all except when at rest.

4. If you have a skeg/nothing (not likely, if you have a rudders skip to #5) get rid of the foot pegs and add layers of minicell foam to fill out the space from the front bulkhead to you foot position. May seem like a lot of foam (maybe a foot give or take), and 3" minicell ain’t cheap - but well worth it and altogether will weigh nor more than old rails and pegs did and will reduce cockpit volume making it easier/faster to pump out). Use wire to make a template, and cut to barely pressure fit (doesn’t need to be perfect fit, and make sure it’s not tight as it will deform the kayak if it’s over large). Cut the last 3" layer so surface facing you tilts about 15 degrees away from you (puts ankles at a better angle when knees are lightly bent. Use 1/2" outer layers (2’x 2’ puzzle type sport mat square from Target are excellent for this) to fine tune the fit and sever as sacrificial layers (I am still using same ones from initial install years ago with no real wear!). The various layers will also allow you so swap them out and around to fit others if needed. The right spacing should let you just lock out your legs flat, and have good contact with balls of feet in typical paddling posture with knees bent a bit. (Tip put a length of cord or web strap in so you can get the farthest layers out easily as you’re fitting/adjusting)

5. If you have a rudder, Contact Pat at ONNO immediately about getting his footboard setup. Same benefits as #4 but adjustable and allows even better rudder control than the original toe pilots over peg system. You should ask others about his seat as well, as that would let you ditch the backband too.

***I cannot over emphasize how much difference a foamed bulkhead or footboard type surface improves leg and pack issues. Much of what people try to fix with cushions and such are thing caused by having feet splayed out on small hard pegs.***

6. Get the EPIC or Brent Reitz forward stroke video. Work on whole body paddling focusing on core use. Doing so and properly using legs and core rotation will ensure you are getting optimal circulation to legs and lower back and a bit of alternate side stretching in as you paddle (I get out after a few hours more flexible than when I got in). Doing otherwise via arm paddling, leaning back, cushy outfitting, and any gizmos that limits movement, etc - will reduce circulation, compress vital nerves, and focus stress on lower back. All recipes for trouble.

Several here have done like I have or similar with same good results. Hopefully they’ll add their input/experience. All of these things work together. Some of this may seem counterproductive as a lot of folks will talk about all sorts of pads and cushions, treating symptoms vs eliminating causes.

You may also want to add some foam under the thigh braces if yours has them. Totally depends on your size/fit/usage/preferences. I added 1/2" (same puzzle mat foam as in #4) and that small difference gave me a lot more rough water control/confidence without restricting my leg motion. Now that I’ve had the boat for 6-7 years and am no longer adjusting to it’s stability, and wanting to paddle a bit harder/bit more knees up, I may take it back out. Really personal stuff you’ll have to play around with.

The Problem May…

– Last Updated: Jul-30-09 11:34 PM EST –

not lie in the seat itself, but the low thigh brace position coupled to the 'splay legged' seating position (wide footpeg spacing). A number of Q-Tip owners have come across this seating anomaly, and Greyak gives great advice with the footbrace and other tips-get those legs closer together, knees tighter and it will take the pressure off the 'sit' bones/sciatic nerve.

I jettisoned the stock seat and replaced it with Patrick from Onnopaddles' chair seat. It definitely helped. I suspect the splay legged, froggy position was mostly to blame though, as I experienced similar to a far lesser degree in my Epic Endurance 18-fabricated a footbrace/bar to span the pegs with the help of Steve R, and it made a huge difference. Far fewer problems in the surf skis where your knees are pinned together.

Good luck. The QCC700 is a fabulous boat-hope you can get comfortable in it.

Greyak, you share
my findings.

While some kayaks have fitted me well, one in particular was like the QCC: bad “furniture”.

I took the seat out and made a fibreglass one with longer support for my legs (the original was very short and digging under my thighs).

I like the solid bulkhead idea however minicell cost alone would be in the 100’s of $ (we are talking Australia here, minicell is like gold for some reason…)

The legs being way too far apart is something that I find very uncomfortable.

Legs together gives me more power (a bit like surf skis).

I have found a second best solution to the solid bulkhead: a bar that spans from one peg to the other http://www.flickr.com/photos/gnarlydog/2453728036/in/set-72157604806048123/

I always paddle with hard soled shoes (Merrel) and the bar offers sufficient surface to be comfortable.

Needless to say that I no longer have “dead legs” with my modified pegs and longer seat.

Specifics that worked for me and others
Now that is an extreme makeover.

Had same…
problem in my 700. Splayed size 13 feet were the problem for me. I had a 500 before,and don’t remember having that problem because the deck was higher. In the 700 I would put a half inflated paddle float under my knees to raise my legs so I could point my toes more. Worked a little while longer in the saddle,but not much. Just had to get out and stretch more often. I miss my 700 for the handling & speed,but I don’t miss the seating/leg position.I think that is a common big guys complaint with them. If they would only raise the deck in the foot area.

billinpa

Try this search engine:

– Last Updated: Jul-31-09 2:53 PM EST –

http://groundclutter.com/search/

Open a container of your favorite malt beverage, sit back (but not too far back) and enter: "QCC seating" - you're in for quite a read!

By the way, there are folks who liked the stock QCC seat\back support; Rebecca and I did not.

Experiment until you find something that works for your unique body.

Good luck.

MikeT

Good Info
Thanks for all the great info everyone. I was looking at the Onno seat and foot rest when I purchased the boat as an option for the future. That may be now. I believe having metal in my back may have accented the problem. Last year before the surgery I did have some minor numbing that I could easily wiggle away. Not now. Even sitting in my car on a long drive I need to shift a bit to keep my feet from going to sleep. So a retrofit seems in order as well as some serious stretching to keep me limber. I found a great DIY seat project on the net using foam. I might try that before the Onno seat only because cash is tight at the moment.

I found a great DIY seat project on the
I found a great DIY seat project on the net using foam.

Please share.