QCC 700XL kayak replacement hatch gaskets?

Wolf, here is what I ordered off of Amazon, will let you know how it works.

Got the neoprene today and installed on hatches, sprayed deck recess with silicone and hatches fit perfect! This neoprene has a smooth surface and does not feel as durable as the original which was more like Spenco insole neoprene (the ones with the green top). Will not leave hatches installed when not using, kayak is hanging on side in garage and the hatch covers fit into the hatch openings.

At first the backing was tearing the foam at the beginning of the roll, so cut first 1" off and started from there and then backing came-off clean, then occasionally the white paper backing would start to tear leaving the backing stuck to neoprene, so used finger nail to peel it off and get it caught up with rest of backing and then continued.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update, Sandman. I’ve added that foam to my Amazon shopping list for future reference.

Took kayak out on Gulf with small swell, hatches worked well, go on and off smoothly after first application of silicone spray, no more silicone spray needed for now.

CD ever give you any info?

:+1: glad it worked.

No, but I only emailed CD, got an automatic reply, but that was it.

1 Like

Thanks again castoff !, nice to have tight seals again, and the smooth face of the replacement neoprene seems to allow it to slide on more easily, versus the original neoprene which had a mini waffle pattern that grabbed and probably collected sand.

I had a QC-700x - sold it a few years ago.

I solved the leaky hatch problem with Armaflex tape from Home Depot. It’s about 3/16” x 2” and made of black closed cell foam. It has amazingly strong peel n stick adhesive backing.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Armacell-2-in-x-30-ft-R-1-Foam-Insulation-Tape-TAP18230/100539553

I put it on as the original was and the just trimmed it back on a chamfer (45 degree angle) using a new razor blade trimming it to be even with the edge of the hatch cover.

It worked well for the few years I owned the Q.

Good luck—

1 Like

Thanks fourrunner, will keep that in mind, right now the replacement neoprene seals are working perfect.