QCC for me?

Careful now… You might get sent to B&B!

– Last Updated: Jul-29-05 11:07 PM EST –

Envyabull, would you be up to a Pt Judith-Block Island crossing around Thanksgiving?

Alright!

– Last Updated: Jul-30-05 5:44 AM EST –

another "Brit" boat vs QCC debate. It's been awhile! Everytime I read one, I think, "Hey, whatever floats you, does what you want best, is IT!"

I just love it it when folks dump in loaded descriptions like "fast" vs "experienced" paddlers "prefer..."

Newbies should put the descriptions aside. Go rent and demo the boats for a good chuck of time. The one you like will speak to you.

sing

Some Experience
A low volume Brit boat and a QCC600 or 700 have a different feel. My American-Brit boat has more initial stability than either of these boats. The QCCs are faster than my boat when pushed above 4.5 mph or so.

Mail order is nice on the price but it’s hell trying to demo one, ain’t it?

Same with surfskis. How many !!**!! miles do I have to drive to try one of those things?

speaking to you
So true. I’ve demoed many perfectly competent boats – any of which I could live with – but the Avocet just said " C’mon! Let’s go play!" It’s not a better boat than a dozen others, but it fits my personality and what I want to do with it.

I’d like to try a QCC.

Why…
can’t we all just git along? :slight_smile:

http://www.valleyseakayaks.com/Ian%20channel.htm

“New Shimmer is a floor wax, AND a dessert topping…”

I’m sure they’ll say
there’s some value to that sheer line dipping down ahead of the cockpit. Some value other than “we didn’t want it to look just like a QCC or Epic” anyway.

Mike

Sheer dip
Pretty common on race boats. It’s the result of a cutout area to give better paddle clearance. Let’s you spear your catch that much closer in. Every little bit ads up when multiplied by thousands of strokes. For other examples look at some of the Nelos, etc.

Is This Thread Wandering…

– Last Updated: Jul-30-05 1:11 PM EST –

or what?

I think this boat looks sexy. Wonder how it paddles.

http://www.nigeldenniskayaks.com/range/greenlander_pro.shtml

Has a day hatch unlike the QCCs.

Yeah, I figured that’s

– Last Updated: Jul-30-05 4:00 PM EST –

what they'd say. At 45cm that boat is quite narrow already, about 18 inches. Probably a little "tippy".

Mike

I’m sure that upturned tail
is supposed to resemble something historic but I could do without that. I suppose it does keep the toggle out of the water better, less swinging and banging.

Mike

17" is skinny but
That cut-away infront of the cockpit makes a noticible difference for paddling ergonomics. My K1 is designed like that. I wish my surfski and touring boat were.

any other pictures of that boat?
At under 6m long and 45cm wide it isn’t far from being an ICF marathon boat modified for use in open water. I like the looks in the picture in the news release…

Day hatch
I would like to watch you open the day hatch in open water on 4-feet chop. I think day hatch are overrated and impractical on performance boats for their intended use. They are a nice marketing concept though…

Let me know when you are…
…going, and if I am in that neck of the woods, I’ll be there with my 700 and enjoy tagging along.

Cheers,

JackL

About the day hatch…I concur
Another thing that bothers me about the day hatch concept is the inefficient space usage. Day hatch storage spaces happen to take up the widest possible storage area just behind the cockpit. Wide and/or heavy objects are best stored there; especially when maintaining good trim and load balance is essential.

I’ve paddled boats with day hatches, and have decided that even in somewhat rough conditions, I’d rather pop the front of the skirt in order to grab something in the cockpit than to twist/reach behind to fish around for something in the day hatch storage area. If the small object I’m looking for happens to be buried at the opposite end of the storage compartment from the hatch opening, even more twisting and awkward reaching is required.

Concerning the upturned stern of the NDK Greenlander Pro…

I’ll be doing some more research of my own, but perhaps Greg Stamer can shed some light on this particular design element? I’ve seen this on some replica SOFs from various parts of Greenland (several of Harvey Golden’s replicas). Here’s one of Harvey’s replica boats that I feel has a nice aesthetic balance (just in terms of its lines):

http://community.webshots.com/photo/143216890/143281376VReNhF

It may seem “unusual” to someone used to seeing most of the modern interpretations of traditional designs, but I think it’s quite beautiful. I would be interested in learning more about any practical implications of this design element (I have some of my own speculative ideas, but I’d rather just learn the real story).

Melissa

Can’t Seem to Locate
any other photos, but I may be paddling one this Thursday. Will post initial impressions if the container comes in. If Valley can get the weight down to QCC and Epic territory, may be a worthy contender. However, as the former (fond) owner of a Brit boat, an NDK Explorer, that’s a tough challenge…(smile).

Rapier’s in another league…
… than a QCC or Epic.

For domestic made comparison maybe T-Bolt? Not much else US (though Nick Shade’s Mystery is of similar purpose for those looking to strip build). More like Nelos, a couple kayaks from down under (NZ), and there’s a French boat that’s basically a decked ski…

I have a hard time understanding a company that launches a new boat, that is apparently shipping, but doesn’t have it on their site with pictures and specs. Even if they only expect to sell a few - it’s cool for the rest of us to see.

Rapier
I’m wondering where that 45 cm. measurement is taken, and hoping, like the Nelo Razor, it has a bit of ‘flare’ around the cockpit area to give it something approaching a degree of secondary stability. There will also be two versions of this boat, along the lines of the Epic 18 and 16, but taken up a couple of notches on the performance spectrum. Puzzling that the boats exist but there’s little info to be had on them, to further whet a paddler’s interest.

Marketing, English style
Did the guys who used to make English automotive electrical systems go into the marketing biz after their auto industry died?

Ahh… remembering Lucas electrics!! - NM