QCC scratches easy

OK OK
I am busted! Backoff Greyak! I know you just reworked and reskinned that fine SOF of yours because it just wasn’t the right color for you!!

(kidding…)

Actually - I tried the wetsanding, then rubbing compound to smooth wetsanding out further, then waxing (lotsa elbow grease) to shine it all up.

It worked pretty good. Scratches are gone, but finish does not “QUITE” match the factory finish. Who cares! Man - glad I did as I found one four foot long scratch from that submerged log that was REALLY ugly.

Now my boat is pretty again - and will stay out of the river shallows area that did all this to my boat in the first place. Back to salt water only! At least future scratches will be from honorable barnacles and other salt-crusted obstacles that would make a seakayaker proud!

Scott

PS - time to buy another boat, too!! Looking at a Nordkapp LV…

Why not use products spcifically…
… formulated for gelcoat? Shiny boats is big business.

Starbrite marine polish is pretty great stuff for occasional clean and shine. If something more aggressive is called for they have different grades of rubbing compound (most I wouldn’t use except to bring a very old kayak back to life). Deeper stuff I’d fill first.

Really, I’d just do the bare minimum until it REALLY started bothering me - then I’d replace the kayak! I buy kayaks to paddle, not maintain and fawn over. As much as I LOVE black - I can’t imagine having to deal with the roasting and scratchfest of a black composite boat. My light/mid brown SOF is too hot to paddle this time of year down here. Like a little greenhouse with no circulation. Brutal.

Shining the scratches …
'Till you want to sell it, might be better to hold off on wetsanding as repeated use will make even the surrounding area thinner. Better to start with 2000 if you can get it for the little stuff too.

YES on the power buffer … just dropping this thing on the spots will equal 15 minutes of elbow grease …

3M Finesse-it… is the Pros choice choice as it does not contain silicone or wax … this stuff might be be glossier than the stock finish.

Thanks for the warning, Pat.
I sort of wondered about that myself re: removing gel coat with sanding. No matter now, as I slammed the bow into a brick wall after paddling last night and broke the tip now…argh…

Scott