QCC skeg overhaul

I recently bought a used QCC 600X. It’s 5 or 6 years old but had a very easy life before it became mine. It has a skeg and I’ve always had rudders (Smart Trac on homemade stripbuilts). So far I’m not impressed with the skeg. It has jambed and failed me twice in a relatively short period of time. I want to try to “tune” it up before giving up and ripping it out to install a rudder. Messages to QCC for advice have gone unanswered. Anyone have one of these? Is there a way to replace/retension the spring? Is the cable housing really supposed to terminate in the bulkhead compartment and, if so, is that where the water I get in the rear compartment comes from? (I was assuming the hatch seal wasn’t perfect). Thanks for any insight you can offer before I start “de-constructing”.

Mark

Try Calling

– Last Updated: Jul-26-12 10:03 PM EST –

When you say messages have gone unanswered, I assume email. Have you tried calling QCC? I just ordered a new boat from them and have talked to them a couple of times. I originally called several times over a few days, but no one ever answered. I then left a message and Steve got back to me within a couple of hours on both occasions.

Jeff

QCC skeg
No, I left a phone message. I’ll give it another try.

thanks,

Mark

QCC skeg
Steve did return my call today and gave me a couple helpful tips.

Mark