QCC

Q700X Fit & Finish
Kocho,

I ordered the Q700X without the thigh braces after talking it over with Steve. My knees and thighs fit great with and without the seat pad. I have to put a little foam around the knees for a little extra grab for rolling. The Q700X cockpit has more space for me than your CD Extreme. Thanks for the input and help. Maybe I can trail behind you in your surf ski:-)

Greyak, jackl, wilsoj, Franklin, & others,

I have been lurking for a while. Thanks for the great input and wealth of objective knowledge. I bought the rudder on recommendations from users and Steve while searching the NET. My current boats have a skeg. I stuck my nose up at a rudder. The Q700X has a different design and purpose. I now will grow in my paddling experience with a rudder. The light weight Kevlar makes it a joy to car-top. I noticed ONNO products years ago. I did not own a boat till now that deserved ONNO products. I will probably leave the seat alone until I get adjusted to the boat. I found a large mouse pad approximately 18x18 3/16 inch thick for ~$12. I cut a “U” seat pad for my other boat. I have an new but old IR back band I can try. I like my Snap Dragon backband I put in my P&H Quest. It is all a matter of preference.

I just did my first week long 100 mile trip across Florida Bay and Keys with my P&H Quest during Christmas. The trip was awesome! I plan to do some longer paddles this summer, complex water trips, and knowledge search to improve my open water skills. The cargo room without the skeg box will be nice. Carrying water is always a painful necessity. I am looking forward to many adventures with the Q700X. I understand the person wanting more speed with less effort. I have noticed with some boats it requires less effort to hold 5-5.5mph. It is obvious the hull length, width, form, water conditions, and paddler motor attribute to this phenomenon.

Moparharn,

Give Steve a call and make sure he rounds the underside of the front cockpit lip. It will help large paddlers from removing the skin off their shins. Knowing your size and the 700 you are near the limits of comfort. You may want to check with Steve about beefing up the seat and back deck. Steve can make a good determination for you. The return policy is great.

I’ll have to try it

– Last Updated: Apr-01-09 1:59 AM EST –

May be barefoot I'll fit in it enough to get a feel for it - hope you will let me try it some time when you are in the area later in the year.

Not sure when I'll get a surf ski again (sold the Futura Spear as I was a little too big for it, plus I needed garage space). No $$$ right now for another one. And if anything, I'll probably go for a WW boat next (again) - now that I know how to roll I think I will enjoy the small rapids around Angler's Inn a little more than before...

But I got something else to keep up with you -;) - a Valley Rapier 18. Just needs a little work and a new seat - I think you'll be interested to try that as well when it's ready...

Hi JimZ
I think JackL pretty much said it all. Look at the last post here. I think you should rethink the thigh grips. It will really help a lot! I also think you should look hard at the ONNO seat. You will be immediately glued to your boat. It will make a huge difference, promise!

I love the bumps. I went out yesterday with a buddy who was on my old Epic V10 Sport (I sold it to him). The St. Johns river had winds up to 25 knots (15 miles of fetch) and river chop to 4 plus feet. My buddy could not keep up on the down wind portion. THESE BOATS LOVE WAVE RIDING. You made a great choice getting the rudder (it is going to make a big difference). It was also very confused. I was grateful for the stability offered from my 700. Walk in the park compared to my buddy’s white knuckle paddle. Did I mention he could not keep up? The boat is awesome. Rides up to 8.6 mph and many of those. LLOOOOOONNNNG linked rides. I love this boat!

Flipping the page, I am going kayak camping this weekend to the Mosquito Lagoon area. SO, one day I have a high performance race boat yearning for waves. The next day I have a great beast of burden happy to carry my 220 pounds plus another 100 in gear…and still go FAST!

I think you made a great choice (WE, who own them, I know are delighted with our 700’s). I hope you will rethink the thigh grips and seat. If nothing else, at least the thigh grips. You can always add the seat later!

Good luck and congratulations

Franklin

I went to Onno and looked at the seats.
It looks like some kind of institutional students desk seat. How do you do a layback with one of those? Actually, how do you do a layback in a 700x? That seat looked as though there would not be room for it and me in the boat. I usually make my own seat bottoms and backs from minicell, but I am not sure I want to do this in the QCC. I have only sat in a 700 once and found it fit ok, but the vertical seat posts were a little tight. I have called Steve and left a message about the rounding of the coaming, moving the rudder up 1.5 inches, and not glueing the seat in. Are there any other mods I should discuss wth him? I have a fifty mile paddle/race on the 25th of April and Steve is going to have the boat to me on the 23rd. This does not leave me much time to outfit the boat for what is going to be a long day on the 25th. Looking forward to seeing it, and thank you to all who have helped me with my questions. Bill

Hi moparharn
The seat can be adjusted to difference heights and has a lot of flexibility. I, though, ultimately took the back off and am using a backband. The seat is so comfortable and “wires” you into the boat. Much better connection than what came on the boat.

Good luck!

Franklin

Thigh Braces
I meant to say “big water” earlier on developing my skills. I have noticed in the 2-3’ chop it is hard to get my Quest turned and my Fathom is much easier with the shorter LW and hard chines.

Franklin,

My boat currently does not have the thigh braces. I tried a Q700 a few years ago and remember having a hard time entering it. I want them but I was afraid of not getting in the boat at 6’4" 210-225lbs. We gave a friend of ours a score of 8.2 for stylish entry and roll this weekend in his CD. I do not think he appreciated it…:wink: My boat entry is not any better for his boat. I will have to get the dimensions for the thigh braces and create them with foam to see if they fit. If so I need to talk with Steve. Is this right Franklin?

Moparharn,

The seat epoxy was a 2 step process and took me 2 days. I glued the seat in then the stakes (sides). If you are confident with your skills it can be less. I would have QCC dry fit the seat at least. They have a jig. Outline the seat front and rear tab with a sharpie. If you do get the seat installed, I recommend not installing the seat pad Velcro.

Hi JimZ
You are a giant. Good to be you! Statistically speaking, tall people make more money (really, I’m not making this up!). I am 5’10". I moved my seat forward and it made a big difference in boat speed and handling (riding waves). Not sure a giant (you) could do that but it is worth the look? The thigh grips don’t affect the length of the combing so that shouldn’t be a problem getting your big feet (couldn’t resist) in the boat. It will be very helpful to have them and it will make a difference. You should get them…I think. AND as human beings, we adapt! You will get used to it. Call Steve before he puts the other combing on the boat. As you know, it is a different combing.

You are going to love the boat.

Good luck!

Franklin

700 layback
Best bet is to just realize you don’t need a full Inuit style, nap on the aft deck, sort of layback. A partial layback is sufficient (actually, none is fine too, not married to one roll finish are you?). Moving the seat forward allows more of a layback - but I would not recommend that automatically, particularly for taller guys as it will only make getting in and out tougher. Being taller, you may get more layback out of one than I do anyway.

Hmm…
If the uprights are already snug on him, not sure that level of contact is going to be a good thing.