Quest kayak from Dick's

Any one own one of these? We would like your opinion of how they perform. Please keep in mind we are in our 60’s and are not into whitewater or long trips. Just nice easy paddeling for a few hours. Thanks

There are better options from a store
that deals in kayaks and canoes. They will also provide you with something you can’t put a price on…knowledge and good advice. Ask around for recommendations to a reputable shop in your area.

Try before you buy…plenty of rentals available for what you want to do. After a couple of times out you might be more capable than you think. If that happens, you will outgrow the Dick’s version VERY quickly. For example, look at a Pungo as an entry level kayak rather than a sporting goods store kayak.

Don’t mean to be a snob, just don’t think its a good idea to purchase “off the rack” from a big box when it comes to kayaks. Even in your sixties on flat water, there are many variables in the design of recreational kayaks that can get you started in something you’ll be much happier paddling once you’ve gotten some skills and seat time.

Just my opinion.

I can’t help you on that particular one
but as a older kayaker who started with a rec kayak, I would say that if it has flotation in the bow and stern, and is cheap, go for it.

Any yak that gets you started on the water and is priced low is good for what you want to do.

Take a look at the classified ads that are posted here on P-net, and that will give you an idea.

Cheers,

jackL

Couldn’t find it on Dick’s site

– Last Updated: Feb-01-10 2:14 PM EST –

which would be helpful... in any case, there was another thread early in December about a skirt for this boat where one person argued that they were like a basic old Perception Swifty, another said they were more boat than that. The person who posted is apparently a Quest owner and has an email link in their profile - go to http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=1215194

You don't indicate where you'll be paddling. Are you talking a few hours on inland ponds or quiet streams, or in an ocean bay? These two environments may produce different answers.

In the meantime, JackL is right. If it has flotation at both ends and doesn't weigh a ton, a kayak that gets you started has benefits. It is also not a bad idea to get used rather than new for a first very quiet water type of boat.

IMO…Not a great design (rather strange
I have paddled it and did not like it at all. Has a rather flat bottom and a blunt bow without much layout. There are numerous other entry level rec kayaks that I think you would find much more enjoyable. However, if it is a matter of you getting out on the water or not, go for for it.

not too bad
my girlfriend has one of these, and i have paddled it a couple of times. as far as entry level rec boats it’s not too far off from anything else. the one thing that i do not like about it is that the seat is rather high, so that it can be difficult to get your legs under the combing, this can make it harder to control the boat. other boats, like the perception swifty or old town otter, are very similar and allow you to put your legs under the combing more easily.

Hurricane
If you’re looking for nice rec boats that are light weight and not too expensive I’d check out Hurricane Aquasports. They have the Santee and Tampico which are decent designs for calm water play. If you want a higher quality thermoformed boat and don’t mind paying extra Eddyline makes some really nice stuff too.

Gary

Further thoughts
I just took a quick look at this thread and see someone talking about it being easier to get their legs under the coaming in other rec boats. There is a question to be had about how relevant that kind of control is in a 10 ft rec boat, since they are only supposed to be in very quiet water. If control via thigh braces is important, you probably want to look at (used) transitional touring boats where that is better enabled.

But, to add to that, unless the wife in this couple is unusually tall for a woman, there is not a chance in heck that her thighs will land under the coaming of most rec boats unless she sits very froggy-legged. Plus, as a personal point, most are very high decked and have no real padded thigh braces. So bony knees end up hitting a hard plastic. Personally I find that painful. So if boat control via thigh braces is soemthing that you want, at least for the female half of this couple you want something with a smaller cockpit. If that’s not important, no matter.

I actually had thought about the Hurricane boats earlier but didn’t mention it. They are very lightweight and have models that are popular with the local rec crowd. You might want to check out their availability used.

Buying Rec Boats
The most important thing about a rec boat ( or any boat for that matter) is fit. Just because it is small or inexpensive doesn’t mean you should give up fit and feel. While the box stores may not hold demo days you need to at least sit in the boat before you buy it.

When you sit in the boat what you are looking for is “comfort”. Is there enough room for your “hips”. Extra space can be padded with foam. You can’t stretch the seat. Was there enough room for you and whatever physical problems you may have to get in and out easily. People with knee problems usually find SOT’s (Sit on top) easier than sit in kayaks. There is one boat I know of where the deck comes up and covers the sides of the seat. With my size this rubs on my side and isn’t comfortable. Some one else makes a boat where the cockpit opening comes to a tight point in the front which makes it difficult and uncomfortable for me to get into.

Also, is there a comfortable place to rest your feet. I like to have foot braces. They make it more comfortable. Is there a good place to put your heels? Some boats have ridges in the bottom ( for support) that are right where my heels want to sit. While I have paddled these a few times I have never found a comfortable place for my heels. I just don’t fit.

We have rec boats as well as others. (We got them about 20 years ago and still have them.) We don’t use them often now but when we do we usually wind up saying, they really are nice little boats. They work very well for tight (narrow) spaces and slow relaxing paddles. A couple of times I have gotten up small creeks and not had room to turn my 19’ touring boat around. Having to back something that long out of those place is a real pain. Also, of all the boats we have, they are the easiest to load and unload.

In posts like yours it might be a good idea to mention where you are. We are 60 something and have let several people try our boats. We have met some nice people that way. Also, if there is a kayak dealer in your area, they probably hold demo days which are a great way to try and find out what you would like.

Good luck and enjoy.