Question about the Pelican Trailblazer 100

I own a sit on top Pelican which I love. I’ve just recently gotten into kayaking and now that we’ll start heading into cooler temps in a few months I’ve realized I don’t want to put it away until spring. Looking into sit-ins now, and specifically have read good reviews on this site and others for the Pelican Trailblazer. Does anyone know if this has capability to attach a spray skirt? Do all sit-ins have that capability? Hopefully not a dumb question, but either way hopefully I’ll become educated :slight_smile:

No question is ever “dumb.” Pelican makes a spray skirt for its rec kayaks, but according to reviews at Amazon, they don’t stay on. Amazon no longer carries it but Pelican does: https://www.pelicansport.com/us_en/spray-skirt-large

There not much cockpit rim to hold a skirt on a short rec boat, plus the cockpit is so large if any amount of water lands on the skirt it will implode, assuming the paddler can get it to stay on. I started with a Necky Rip 10 and the half skirt I tried came off most of the time.

Where do you paddle? Rivers, small lakes, big water? If you want to grow your skills, look for a used touring kayak around 14 ft. that has two sealed bulkheads (so it won’t sink if capsized), will accommodate a skirt that will stay on (you’ll need to learn a wet exit) and will go faster, track better, and handle waves much better than a 10 foot boat. Lots of them are for sale on Craigs list and will be again come spring.

You have to take reviews, particularly for “entry level” inexpensive rec style kayaks, with a grain of salt. Kayaking is naturally fun so people always enthuse about their first kayak but they usually have nothing to compare it to and will give it a “10 out of 10” even though the boat may lack basic safety and even comfort features and be slow. The Trailblazer 100 will NOT support a spray skirt AT ALL. It doesn’t have a coaming lip all the way around. Look at the video closeups in the Dick’s Sporting Goods site for that model and you will see that the groove in front of the cockpit tapers to flat in the stern where that cargo well sits. Essentially it’s more dangerous than the boat you already have. If you capsize it, the boat will fill with water and sink.

Rookie is right, you need to consider what your ambitions might honestly be for future paddling. A $179 kayak is essentially a dinky pool toy. It isn’t safe for waters too deep to wade to shore and will be too slow for any serious rivers or large lakes. You won’t learn any paddling skills with something 28" wide.

For $300 to $400 and a little patience, you could find a decent used day touring kayak 12’ or more. You didn’t state your height and weight – those are factors in choosing a boat, as well as where you intend to paddle it.

if you are intent on a new kayak to safely extend your season, the Perception Conduit 13 for $600 at Dick’s is the minimal model that will support a sprayskirt and has dual bulkheads.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/perception-conduit-13-kayak-15ptnucndt13stnkypsk/15ptnucndt13stnkypsk

Some may find the Pelican Trailblazer good for their use. For others it would be totally inadequate for their use. Some of this is driven by the question of where you would be paddling, as indicated by Rookie above. As she indicates, any paddling environment where a skirt would have to keep a quantity of water out from waves is not a place where a rec boat like the Pelican Trailblazer should be.

Read the articles on this site about the types of kayaks and the purpose of the different features.
https://paddling.com/learn/category/getting-started/understanding-watercraft/

You have to take comments, particularly from people who own touring boats, that all rec boats are death traps and should only be paddled in a pool or ankle deep water as not too serious. Enjoy what you have, upgrade if and when the time is right, but be safe in whatever waters you paddle.

I’m glad you be love your craft. It’s a start. Stay out of the middle of the lake and always wear your PFD.
And don’t paddle with anyone with longer boats unless they are willing to do more waiting than paddling.
Old Tiger

@rnsparky said:
You have to take comments, particularly from people who own touring boats, that all rec boats are death traps and should only be paddled in a pool or ankle deep water as not too serious. Enjoy what you have, upgrade if and when the time is right, but be safe in whatever waters you paddle.

Thanks, appreciate that, as that is definitely the impression I’ve walked away with when I’ve asked questions here so far. I need to add a disclaimer each time, because I fully realize I am not currently paddling in a top of the line boat, nor anywhere close to it. At the time being though, I’d have a hard time justifying why I need a $400-$600 kayak when the $250 one I have Pelican Apex Angler 10’ has been a blast, and absolutely fits the bill. Not once have I felt like it was a dangerous boat, whether paddling up narrow rivers with a LOT of obstacles to maneuver under, over, and around, or in open lakes or wider rivers. I was just curious if a Trailblazer might perhaps be one a spray skirt can fit. It seems that it won’t, but no worries. Basically all I’d be looking to do is simply keep a paddle from dripping all over me and freezing me to death paddling along the same calm rivers and lakes I do right now. So maybe the better bet is just find some waterproof pants? :slight_smile:

Eventually I am sure I will upgrade to a better, nicer, more expensive kayak. But right now this Pelican is probably the best $250 i’ve ever spent. Appreciate you calling that out as well!

It takes minutes for a “calm” lake to swamp you , esp in your boat. Been there. If you think drips are cold, try immersion in 40 degree water.
The less capable the boat, the more capable the paddler better be.
We’re trying to keep you and other beginners safe.

I’m just learning about these things myself now, and found this very informative.

https://gobair.org/Resources/Documents/Cold_Water.pdf

This is a more comprehensive site about cold water:

http://www.coldwatersafety.org/nccwsRules3.html

@Clemsontyger
Your current kayak would be much safer than the Pelican Trailblazer, because your Apex SOT won’t sink if capsized. The Trailblazer would because it doesn’t have sealed bulkheads. You’d have to drag it to shore to empty that big cockpit.

For the money saved by not buying the Trailblazer and another $20, you can buy a drysuit: https://www.mythicdrysuits.com/

I paddle nothing but rec boats any more but there are rec boats and there are wreck boats.
I have this vision of a 10’ , open cockpit slug being caught in a blow in the middle of Jocassee or Hartwell.
A mile to shore in cold water and you get to be the next headline. Hopefully your PFD makes it easier to find your body.
Right now your ignorance is dangerous as was mine and every other beginners.
I got caught in a pop up storm on the ICW at Hilton Head in my first 12’ rec boat . I was able to get into the marsh and hope the lightning didn’t get me.
I thought it was going to be a nice day.
P S; I wrote this earlier and it disappeared.

It’s a lot more dangerous to drive to the put in than to paddle a rec boat using common sense. I have yet to get stuck on ice, get struck by lightning, or swamped by a tsunami,

Rec boats aren’t a problem when they’re used as intended, which is to say in flat water close to shore in summer “swimming” weather. They are not inherently “death traps” but manufacturers and vendors do nothing to educate people about the limitations of their utility. Nor do most people actively seek out their own qualified information. The advertising literature often shows boats in places they don’t belong, leading the uninformed to believe it’s safe for them too. Add in the natural progression as a person gains confidence plus the “invincibility” of many and you start seeing these boats in places and situations they should never be.

@rnsparky said:
It’s a lot more dangerous to drive to the put in than to paddle a rec boat using common sense. I have yet to get stuck on ice, get struck by lightning, or swamped by a tsunami,

You’re absolutely correct, presuming that common sense includes always wearing a life jacket and paddling inland flat water or quiet rivers. Unfortunately, the statistics prove that’s not the case.

Also you need to pass a test to drive.

I see frequent distracted drivers talking on phones, using gps, sending texts, etc while driving. For the drivers test they don’t take you to the interstate to drive 75 mph with trucks in either side, or drive in the snow on mountain roads at night in blizzard conditions.

I kind of envy you, because you are thrilled with your ten footer. You have so much to look forward to.–not only in boats, but the paddles too do make a huge difference. Beginners should learn paddling techniques–the forward stroke and concentrate on core rotation. sculling, bracing, ruddering (bow and stern)–there’s so much to learn and practice.

The one thing that always catches my eye when I encounter other paddlers is one who has the right techniques–they’re few and far between. Go to YouTube and, or find a really good instructor.

@magooch said:
I kind of envy you, because you are thrilled with your ten footer. You have so much to look forward to.–not only in boats, but the paddles too do make a huge difference. Beginners should learn paddling techniques–the forward stroke and concentrate on core rotation. sculling, bracing, ruddering (bow and stern)–there’s so much to learn and practice.

The one thing that always catches my eye when I encounter other paddlers is one who has the right techniques–they’re few and far between. Go to YouTube and, or find a really good instructor.

Good advice. For a couple of years I really didn’t know how to paddle and the paddle was terrible.
I was pulling a lot of stress into my shoulders. It became very apparent when I went from a rec boat to a sea kayak.

@magooch said:

Indeed, I am sure there is a world beyond what i have and know, and I’m good with that too. So far though it’s jsut everything I need in what I have. I have definitely studied up on techniques, etc, and found myself still ready to paddle after completing 11 mile trip the other week.

@Rookie said:
This is a more comprehensive site about cold water:

http://www.coldwatersafety.org/nccwsRules3.html

@Clemsontyger
Your current kayak would be much safer than the Pelican Trailblazer, because your Apex SOT won’t sink if capsized. The Trailblazer would because it doesn’t have sealed bulkheads. You’d have to drag it to shore to empty that big cockpit.

For the money saved by not buying the Trailblazer and another $20, you can buy a drysuit: https://www.mythicdrysuits.com/

There we go. Perfect! Thank you sir. That would definitely solve the dilemma. Plus I wouldn’t have to worry about wife asking where I’m planning to store the second kayak :smiley: