Question for Peter O. at Valley

Here’s a non-poly AA for the $ of poly
Current Pnet classified ads (search under “Valley”):

(NY) Valley Anas Acuta for sale. Yellow over yellow with black trim, day hatch, no skeg, used but good condition $1500. – Submitted by: milesmanning

nah…
right now I am building a skin on frame version of Bjorn Thomassen’s “Hunter” along with helping Tripp build his strip boat (I am the manual labor when needed) I figured it would be fun to compare the two and building them side by side makes it easy to compare and verify lines and dimensions.

I have an OI for distance and rolling, a tempest 165 for surf, play and no worries about scratching, a Strand SOF for dedicated rolling, and will have the hunter which I really hope will be a combination of the OI and the Tempest but 25 lbs lighter than either.

(If not…then find another design to build…:slight_smile: )

A poly AA might replace the tempest (maybe) but the advantage wouddl be because it is plastic and pretty indestructable. Otherwise, I don’t see any major advantage anymore as the Hunter sof or the Tempest would work well as day boats.

Not sure if the AA would fill any niches anymore.

Paul

Poly AA
It’s not the hard chine itself that is the problem it is the flat areas of hull in between. One option is to make these ever so slightly convex.

But if we did give it a go would we go Ocean or Keyhole cockpit, now there is a whole new debate! A roto-moulded traditional Greenland kayak with ocean cockpit, what would the purists say.

Quick better go before I talk myself in to trying it

Peter: Valley plastic quality

Peter : I have always been an advocate for Prijon, as their HTP plastic is superb. Long molecular structure, has just enough “give”, yet very rigid and repairable with glue gun sticks. They are pretty flat in places, like the bottom.

Now, my Valley Avocet Rm is with very rigid plastic, and frankly, it is the most rigid plastic out there. Very high quality. I cannot manage to deflect it almost at all with direct hand pressure on the deck, although in the summer it might be slightly more “flexy”.

I know nothing about plastic molding process, but it sure would seem that the AA in plastic would be manufactureable based on the firm nature of the Valley plastic. Bruce, who was looking at the Valleys one of the tiomes I saw you at CCopia, might know the answer about molding.

Anyhow, you really should give it a try. It’d be a winner: AA RM.

second that

try it try it try it.

– Last Updated: Mar-21-07 3:30 PM EST –

who do I send a check to? I want the first one. Ocean cockpit. No molded in seat though.

black, skeg please

I'm serious. My wife will come to understand eventually...maybe...

paul

Paul - you forgot…
…NO FOOTPEGS…COMPASS RECESS…SHIP TO SCOTT FOR TESTING FIRST…

good point.
You done testing my Black Pearl yet?

:slight_smile:

Its in the shop…
…coaming/hatch/bulkhead mods being done. Another story/thread…

S

I’m also ready to order
a plastic Anas…Peter, do you need a down payment? if so let me know.

ocean cockpit
I think the comments that come from a lot of us bemoaning the fact that we have the Outer Island with a keyhole cockpit and wish we had the ocean as originally designed, and, I suspect secretely wondering if we should sell ours and get the ocean cockpit when it comes out gives a pretty good argument for keeping the anas acuta with the original design. Original designs may not appeal to the masses, but I don’t see the anas appealing to the masses anyway.

Peter you have at least five that will order immediately. that should at least pay for a pre-production meeting?

Paul

:slight_smile:

Valley LV Review with pics

– Last Updated: Mar-23-07 10:05 PM EST –

A nice initial review of the boat.
http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11574&highlight=nordkapp

Grayhawk, do you agree with the above review about primary and secondary stability being low?

Pretty much…

– Last Updated: Mar-23-07 3:34 PM EST –

I had read this review before ordering mine. At first I would agree except the squeezing in the thigh braces, mine are fine but then again I don't wear cold water gear.

Now with over 3 months of paddling the boat on an average of five times a week it has settled down a whole bunch. I can now feel comfortable fishing out of it in light+ conditions. It still gets my attention once in a while though and it helps to keep pressure on the paddle in the bumpy stuff. It hasn't dumped me yet.

I finally took it camping and with my 185lbs. and 75lbs. of gear the boat was a joy and didn't feel overloaded in the least.

I came from a super stable boat so it might be taking me longer than someone else. The other day I paddled my Tern for the first time since getting the LV and it felt like an aircraft carrier. Anyone need a Tern?

I’ll give them both a good home
the 17 and the 14

Paul