Question on cockpit covers

Ok I am new to kayaking. So I just got a Seal cockpit cover to keep out whatever when it sits or rains… Can you leave the cover on when car topping and traveling? It has a strap that goes completely around the kayak… Wondering

I do with mine especially if it’s a long trip. You should get a little better gas milage as well as keep the rain out of your boat. I suggest you fasten your cockpit cover to your boat or rack so, should it come off while driving, you won’t lose it.

I use J-cradles, and if I position the boat just right I can usually catch either end of the cover under the straps. Of course, I clip it to a deck line on the boat too.

Yes, best for traveling. Put a cabineer (corrected) thru the grab loop, l know our Seals covers have one, and to a bungie. It can flap around but not get lost.

Thanks for quick reply!!! It has a loop that the strap goes through when strapped around the kayak, not sure that loop is strong enough when goes 70 on the interstate should the cover pry off. Just wondered if they pry off in the wind. I would not think so I just do not have the experience. So ask first! Thanks

@Celia said:
Yes, best for traveling. Put a cabinet thru the grab loop, l know our Seals covers have one, and to a bungie. It can flap around but not get lost.

Boy, that’s a big grab loop! :wink:

Thanks Sparky. I bet I would get pulled real fast if that was possible.

@Celia said:
Thanks Sparky. I bet I would get pulled real fast if that was possible.

Carabinier

Thanks string too. Cell phone typing.

LOL… Third time’s a charm?

“Carabiner”

Which was not in my phone’s list of suggested words, and is flagged as a spelling error despite being correct.

Sorry to nitpick. I was mostly just having fun with it but this sort of thing does really stand out to me. It has become much worse with phones and the impossible touchscreen.

How well the cover rides on the cockpit depends on the material it’s made of, as well as the size of the cockpit. A neoprene cover on a small cockpit stays put very nicely. A large tandem cockpit covered with a nylon cover is another thing altogether. They get to flapping around, and it’s hairy. The carabiner on any and all!
Another .02…if you have a nylon cover that sags, store it with a beach ball on the seat. Gives it a non-puddling profile!

I’ve had nylon covers come off but not neoprene models.

I’ve just copleted 4500 miles trip with a Seals nylon cockpit cover with strap. Never had a problem with it.

Note it is a good idea to take it in the boat to cover to keep critters out at stops along the water. Spiders, flys, lizards, can hitch a ride.

Much appreciated everyone! Nice to know there is a place to ask questions and get replies!!!

Also covers without the strap tend to act as a big diaphram and “whoomp, whoomp, whoomp!” down the road.

I think the size of the cockpit and fit of the cover play come into play. I don’t use anything to secure my nylon cockpit cover other than the cam straps holding my boat on the cradles and hooking the grab loop to deck rigging. The grab loop goes under a strap as does the back cord. Keyhole cockpit which is centered on the Hullavator cradles.

Maybe put a big beach ball under it to keep it from flopping so much and help keep from puddling up rain if you carry your boat upright. Be sure to use a carabiner and some paracird to clip the cover to your yak.

@cyberiankhatru said:
Maybe put a big beach ball under it to keep it from flopping so much and help keep from puddling up rain if you carry your boat upright. Be sure to use a carabiner and some paracird to clip the cover to your yak.

Extra work …and who cares if it collects water. It comes off quick. Unless you’ve got one of those rec boats with the humongous cockpit.

I will have to say mine worked well this weekend. I travel about 2 hours away and was doing 70. I have J brackets and the straps went over the leading end of the cover. Thanks again for the input gave me confidence to travel with it on.

The cockpit covers for my Current Designs boats have nylon snaps attached to the grab loops. I connect them to my forward deck bungees and have taken my kayaks from NJ to Nova Scotia Canada and back many times at highway speeds with no problems.