Question on launching for Boston Harbor

In a few weeks we will be in the south Shore of Boston, (Duxbury and Plymouth, etc) and were thinking about paddling to Peddocks Island.
Do any of you local folks know of any good launching places from either Houghs Neck or the Weymouth area?
A few years ago we paddled to Bumpkin Island and launched from a public place in Hingham, but it was terrible and mud a low tide, so we are looking for a place that has decent water at low tide - if there is one?
We would be coming up route 3 or 3-A

Public landing at Houghs Neck Maritime Center. There is even a parking lot to accommodate cars and trailers on the other side of some homes facing the launch.

sing

Hough’s neck would be a good one. There’s a sandy/gravely spot to the left of the ramp (looking out) where you can drop your boat and gear out of the way while you go park.
You could also try launching at Sunset Bay Marina in Hull, and park on Cadish Ave. Check out Joe’s Nautical Bar down the street if you like dive bars. If I find more Hull parking spots I’ll update.

@Johnnysmoke said:
Hough’s neck would be a good one. There’s a sandy/gravely spot to the left of the ramp (looking out) where you can drop your boat and gear out of the way while you go park.
You could also try launching at Sunset Bay Marina in Hull, and park on Cadish Ave. Check out Joe’s Nautical Bar down the street if you like dive bars. If I find more Hull parking spots I’ll update.

There is some parking on Windmill point/Hull, in front of the high school. The launch is pretty much a steep sand and gravel beach. But, it’s only a 1/4 mile across to Peddocks. What’s the fun in that…? :wink: Just dodging summer boat, ferry and commercial traffic going across Hull Gut, which has the strongest currents in Boston Harbor, depending on tide phase.

I actually like launching from here to chase stripers. Go out with the last 1/3 of the tide, drift fishing the rocky/boulder bottom and then drift back in with the incoming tide. Just have to keep rubber necking for power boats, as the fish holding structures pretty much follow along the channel buoys. :slight_smile:

sing

Thanks, much appreciated
Depending on weather,etc we’ll try that Houghs Neck one out

@JackL said:
Thanks, much appreciated
Depending on weather,etc we’ll try that Houghs Neck one out

You’ll have to cross West Gut from the tip of Nut Island (which is connected to Hough’s Neck) to get over to SW tip of Peddock. West Gut is much wider than Hull gut and thus has a much milder current. You do have to watch for the Hingham-Boston ferries. They usually run on the hour. You can see the ferry coming from Boston from a mile away (literally). The ferry from Hingham can be on top of you pretty quickly if you not paying attention. Both will throw up steep 3’ wakes. These can be fun or terrifying, depending on the paddler. The ferries do not slow down whatsoever for paddlers.

Have a fun paddle out there. (For those who never paddled the area) Boston Harbor Islands provide great paddling and exploring opportunities.

sing