Question re Issue w/ New Drysuit

I ordered a new NRS Inversion drysuit from a reputable dealer, and upon inspection when it arrived, there are two small spots on the neck gasket (on and near the end of the neck opening) that appear to have what looks like a bit of dry-rot. The spots are thin and small, but one is about 1 inch long and a 1/8 inch wide around the opening. The other gaskets are clean and supple with no issues. I think I should send it back, but I thought I’d check with the group in case this is nothing to worry about. However, given the cost of these suits, I don’t think I should settle for a gasket that is likely to fail early. Any thoughts from folks with drysuit experience? Thanks!

Dry Suit Gaskets
I’ve had rubber gaskets with dull spots. No matter what you decide to do notify the dealer of the concern immediately. I have rubbed 303 Protectant on some and they have been fine. If the spot dulls up again or their are fine cracks or bubbles they’ve gotten returned.

NRS - good company
If it were me I’d call NRS. They are good people. Tell them exactly what the problem is over the phone. And yes you’ll talk to a person right away at NRS, not a machine! I’ll bet they’ll tell you that they’ll send you a postage return sticker. and they’ll send you a new suit. In fact , just tell them you’re not happy with the product and you want a different one. No questions ask, they’ll send you a new one.

Paul

Have you trimmed the neck seal yet?
If not tell them of the problem and see if they will let you trim the neck seal to get rid of it. The idea I have here is that you can practice trim this seal to determine how many rings to remove and then not make any mistakes on the new one when it arrives. The other possibility is that they will keep a file on you and replace your neck seal for free at some point in the future when you have worn it out. Bill

Dealer
Since you ordered from a dealer rather than NRS I would first contact the dealer. Many dealers (especially smaller one) have drysuits sitting around in stock for several years and often reduce the price significantly to move their old stock. I would guess that many dealers don’t take the time to treat their gaskets while the drysuits are in inventory. Being handled/tried on by customers and exposed to whatever in the shop may accelerate the deterioration of gaskets. I’m not familiar with the NRS suits, but Kokatat writes a manufacturing date on their suits and the gaskets are stamped with a manufacture year. You might look to see if the NRS suit is similarly marked.

Best,

~wetzool

Thanks
Thanks for the advice. I’ve talked with the dealer, and they seem ready to make it right. Since this was a closeout sale, I think the poster who suggested it may be an older inventory suit is probably right. We’ll see how they deal with it.