---- Question RE: WS Cape Horn 170 -----

Q#1 - What current Wilderness System model is the Cape Horn 170 comparable to (ie: Zypher, Focus, etc…)?

Q#2 - Is the Cape Horn 170 a good sized boat for a guy who’s 5’11" & 205-lbs (180-cm & 93-kilos)?

Q#3 - How much relative storage space for gear via the hatches does the Cape Horn 170 have compared to other Sea Kayaks (ie: small, medium, large, XL, etc…)?

Thanks in advance for any background & insight y’all can provide.

All the best,

Rich Norton

Denali Prk, Alaska, USA

Since You’re Getting No Replies…
I’ll give you my two cents:

Q#1 - What current Wilderness System model is the Cape Horn 170 comparable to (ie: Zypher, Focus, etc…)?

The Cape Horn is sort of a 'high seat-back" kinda boat. I’d put it in the Tsunami category. I think they have high seat backs. I had a Cape Horn 15 and consider it my beginner boat.

Q#2 - Is the Cape Horn 170 a good sized boat for a guy who’s 5’11" & 205-lbs (180-cm & 93-kilos)?

If you aren’t carrying a lot of stuff I think the Cape Horn 15 is more fun / manageable than the 17. If you plan to carry a lot the 17 would likely do better.

Q#3 - How much relative storage space for gear via the hatches does the Cape Horn 170 have compared to other Sea Kayaks (ie: small, medium, large, XL, etc…)?

I don’t know.

Yep!
The Cape Horn is not the same as the Tsunami. The Tsunami replaced the Cape Lookout. I’d say it is much closer to the Zephyr.

For a person your size, the 170 is outstanding. I have maybe 10 or 15lbs on you and I have been paddling that boat extensively for almost 10 years and am incredibly happy with it.

I highly recommend doing the back band conversion from the seat back, it really helps with exits, maneuvering, reentry, comfort, you name it.

As far as storage goes, I think it is pretty decent. Not the leader of its class, but definitely not lagging behind. Multi-day trips can easily be done from this boat.

Any other questions about the 170, just let me know!