Quetico Canoe Quest

Anyone planning to attempt the quest before the '09 deadline? A guy from Atikokan completed it in a week. I was thinking about spreading it across 3-4 visits between now and the deadline.

In case you don’t know, Quetico turns 100 years old in September 2009 and the quest is part of the celebration. When you enter you are sent a pennant, you then have to visit the six entry stations and collect crests to attach to your pennant.

Call the Quetico park office at 807-929-2671 ex.228 for details or e-mail tamara.vandyk@mnr.gov.on.ca

Hope to see you on the trial.

Boundary Waters Quest
I’m working on a similar challenge for the Boundary Waters, which also turns 100 next year. The Border Trail is a journey along the Voyageur Trail from Fort Francis, ON to Grand Portage,MN at Lake Superior. 300 miles through the heart of canoe country, with 19 miles of portages. Beginning end of June into July 2008. Voyageurs are welcome, canoes are provided but you’ll need your own camping gear and food.

In 2009 we’ll have two teams, one starting at Grand Portage, the other at Fort Francis, and meet and pass at Height of Land Portage between North and South Lakes, then shuttle each others cars back to Ely.

BTW, the International Boundary between MN and ON was finalized 100 years ago this month, by treaty between US and Great Britain.

Why do I have to
live two-day’s drive from those areas? Sigh.

Jim

I wonder that myself sometimes
seeing as how I’m even further away than you are…just have to console yourself with some of the best whitewater rivers in the world right outside your door, I guess.