quiet water paddling

Looking for E Coast quiet and flat water canoeing in mid-Atlantic and South - similar to what you find in Adirondack mountains.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Sorry but you won’t find quiet water
in the mid Atlantic south that is similar to the Adirondacks

In the coastal areas the rivers are “Black Water”

In the Piedmont they are a skuzzy brown

The lakes in the Piedmont are not clear, and usually a muddy brown color, and mostly surrounded by red clay banks

In the mountains of NC and SC there are lots of clear rivers, but they are mostly class I-II and III

A few areas that might compare are Lake Jocassee in the mountains of SC. The north shore of Lake James in the foothills of NC and Watauga Lake in east Tenn.

I could continue, and fill up a lot of space, but overall you won’t find similar paddling places comparing to the Adirondacks.

With that said there are lots of pristine wilderness black water rivers that make for very enjoyable places to paddle

jack L

Lots of choices
there are multiple pristine cedar water streams in the south jersey pine barrens, Mullica, Batsto, Wading, egg harbor, Maurice, rivers, Cedar creek, Oswego branch to name few. the Delmarva penninsula has many options. Check some of Edward Gertler’s guide books.

NJ
Though they aren’t quite like the Adirondacks, the Batso, Mullica and and a few other NJ Pine Barrens rivers are good, flat water paddles. Some are even appropriate for multi day rips.

Split Rock Reservoir in northern NJ is a good, flatwater paddle. Even though it isn’t far from major population centers, the lack of development along the shore gives it a remote feel (see my trip report here).