Quinebaug River canoe trail

-- Last Updated: May-27-04 11:35 PM EST --

Anyone canoed this CT trail? How long does it take? Nice water?

Cheers,
Gus

Quinebaug trail
Paddled it a number of times!

It’s actually in Massachusetts. You can start at either end & do a round trip, because the current isn’t very strong. The trail goes from Holland Pond in Holland, MA to East Brimfield Lake in Sturbridge.

It’s mostly slow, swampy areas, very pretty, especially in the fall. At low water, there’s a portage at the top of East Brimfield Lake around a falls (Actually, I’ve run the falls in both a ww kayak and my canoe), and an old beaver dam about halfway that can hang you up going upstream (At least it was still there last spring).

A very nice flatwater paddle!

Wayne

thanks
Thanks wayne, and you’re right, it is in MA.

Hi paddlers.

I’m new to this forum and just stumbled onto this oldie but goodie. Back in '04 they called this one section of the Quinebaug River the " River Trail". But the greater part of the Quinebaug is actually down her in northeast Connecticut. Here is a link with some more current information:
http://www.nrtdatabase.org/trailDetail.php?recordID=3846

I live in the heart of this valley that contains the Willimantic, Quinebaug, Shetucket and Natchaug rivers. All are excellent for day trips.

All great rivers - and don’t forget the Farmington. Live in RI and paddle in CT all the time - at least I used to…

Two great spring runs are the Riverton section of the Farmington and the Willimantic from Stafford Springs to Merrow Road. The Willimantic is a a pretty good level right now :frowning:

I might give that Stafford Springs to Merrow Bridge a go this afternoon. It’s only going to be in the mid 40’s, but I need to get outdoors!