Racers - How long...

… are your “normal” day paddles when training (or just for fun - same thing right?)?

Not talking about sprint/interval type work (but feel free if you want to), but your distance training. What average speeds? What boat? How often.

Not a competition! Just looking for the bigger picture for some perspective. I paddle mostly alone at speeds above the touring pace of most local paddlers, but below that of the more serious racers. This speed range (anywhere between 5-6 mph averages depending on where), and the intermediate distances I cover (15-20 miles), being a big reason I paddle alone.

at least
an half hour for a quick training run. But normally we try for two hours paddling,one out to the bar and one back. As we get closer to real race season we increase our length of paddles 3 then 4 then 5 hours. These are long power paddles, not sprint interval style. A few years back the Canunut would take us out for three or four hours of intervals. That is just so much fun.

Charlie

The bar?
You go to the Bar in the middle of your training? Carbo loading right!! Sorry I read that and re-read that and I just couldn’t help it.

PK

Knowing Charlie…
…they probably have a stash of Killian’s Red out on a sand bar someplace?

Cheers,

JackL

The Bar!
We paddle out to Midtown sundries on the other side of the lake, have lunch and a beer or two to Carb load/rehydrate then paddle back!

We find it a great incentive to train in lousy weather, and we don’t have to worry about designated driver…

Maybe I should have said “How Far?”

Or maybe , “seriously”

Summarizing

– Last Updated: Mar-08-04 10:16 PM EST –

Boat: Isthmus
Distance: Never less than 20 miles, sometimes 30 or even 40 miles. At least once a week (no matter what),and if I can two to three times a week,
Speed: Depend on conditions and distance 5.45/5.75 is a good average for all distance.

I love the intercoastal, against the current, windy, and full of boats!!! To me, this is the best training place.

This week, I'll start doing interval & sprint training with speedstroke.

Of course, I do cross training and weight lifting.

Regards,
Iceman

7 hours?
That’s what 40 miles should take at those speeds. Long time to be on the water. You take breaks?

(Hey Frank - are you reading this? Same boat, right? L)

I did 18 Saturday in about 3 1/2 hours in the Q700 (“Jake’s loop” around airport, plus my little canal in and out. Was moving, but not “race pace”. Seemed a good distance for me right now. Soon I want to add my 28 mile half ocean - half ICW loop (to Lighthouse point and back) back in - and maybe try a loop South or add a Port E to Haulover leg onto the airport loop. I used to think a run to South Beach and back in one day would be doable. Not so sure now. that would be somewhere around 54 miles. I’ve got a long way to go before I could tackle that in the kayak. Iceman, you’ll be ready as soon as you get your Mako! only limit will be the water you can carry!

Iceman, at B&B you mentioned changing your diet a while back. If/when you have time, could you email me about the changes you made? Curious.

I’m not a racer,
But here is my two cents worth,

3 paddles per week.

-weekend paddle 15 to 20 miles @ 80%race pace

focus on form.

-weekday paddle Intervals, 2 miles fast, 1

mile easy, 2 fast, 1 easy, finished by 2 fast

Total 8 miles.

-weekday paddle, 10 miles , 95% race pace.

2 strength workouts per week (weights),special

focus on lats, shoulders, arms.

2 cardio workouts per week. Minimum 4 miles

after doing some light leg weights. HR at

155 to 170. Abs on all strength and cardio

days.

Hope this helps.

HEX

last year w/QCC 700
You guys seem to being doing a lot of distance work. I rarely have the time to do more than an hour workout. Last year I averaged about 4-5 paddles a week. distance was about 5-8 miles generally. Some weekends I would find time to put in 2-3 hours and up to 19-20 miles distance. Wind and tide and I how I felt were all things I recorded. Sometimes I would do a shorter set distance at 6+ and then slow down. Usually my average pace was around 5.1-5.7. Closer to a race, I would do some interval. surprisingly, I did no weights and very little running last year, and still did all right for me at the few races I went to. With the 700, I had times over 6 mph avg. and in one race with the 600, I hit over 7 mph for a 3 mile race.

This year I hope to do a little more distance, but want to really work on interval and getting the speed up, more than the long slow row.

Post your diet changes here,
if you feel so inclined. I don’t race, but I have been working out regularly with the intention of increasing my endurance for longer paddles (I will paddle around Tahoe this summer)

Time constraints…

– Last Updated: Mar-09-04 7:09 PM EST –

I know rowing isn't the same as kayaking and working out on an indoor rower is not a subsitute for time on the water, but I have been using a concept2 indoor rower with a noticeable improvement in my kayaking speed and endurance. It's a great full body workout, that works many of the same muscle groups, while being low impact. I am finding it somewhat addictive. They have a really nice website with training info. It may be an option for people who can't get out on the water, as often, or for as long as they would like.

Concept II Ergometer
I too, am becoming rapidly addicted to that device. They have one at my rec center gym and I can’t stay off of it. (I think I may be the only person to ever use it.) After hitting the weights, I’ll climb on the thing for anywhere from twenty minutes to an hour-tonight I did intervals, one minute on, two minutes off, set of ten. That Speedstroke looks very interesting too…

I’ve also been doing forward stroke practice with the weighted padded bars they have for curls. I’ll do three sets of 100 reps, with a 15, 18, and 22 lb. bar, concentrating on proper form-you really feel the burn in the front delts.

When the ice is gone and the weather is warmer, my on water workouts are usually one to two hour steady state affairs at 70-85% of max around one of two local lakes. I’m like a rat on wheel, but everything else is too far to drive to after work.

I too am addicted to the erg…
rowing between 5,000 and 10,000 4-6 X per week. It’s starting to become the other thing I do because the workout’s so satisfying:)

What’s the machine you are using to simulate some of the action of the forward stroke? Maybe I’ll add that to my gym routine.

Grayak,

– Last Updated: Mar-10-04 12:29 AM EST –

When I do long paddles, I divide them into two intervals in order to be able to paddle harder

10 miles - 15/20 minutes break – 10 miles
15 miles – 20/25 minutes break – 15 miles
20 miles - 30/45 minutes break - 20 miles

I am getting the Mako thinking in the Florida Champ. for 2005, so I will be still paddling the Isthmus during this year for long paddles, and some races as well.

As you say, the big problem with Skis is the impossibility of carrying enough water to do long workouts.

Regards,
Iceman

No Machine
I sit on a weight bench (use one where the seat can kick up slightly to give me the equivalent of a tiller board), and concentrate on form, a la Brent Reitz’s dvd. I don’t get the resistance you do pulling the boat through the water, but the weight of the bar definitely does something. When I first started, I was sore in all the right places, so something’s good about it. It does attract a degree of attention though. Funny, my wife went to the gym the other night, and came back to tell me she saw two other guys trying to do the same thing. Perhaps I’ve started a movement. Like the Concept Ergometer, people do tend to get sucked into these cult things. Good workout-no wonder you’re feling stronger in the kayak! Keep it up!

Mark

paddle fast
In the t-bolt I relax, unwind and then do wind sprints of maybe 500 yards then relax and paddle slowly. In 2 hours I often paddle the usual 9 mile loop from power dam to power dam. And I practice 360’s (buoy turns)and starts. Some good racers would do their usual 9 mile workout against the clock and have a big bowl of ice cream before bed if they could do the 9 miles at a good race pace of 7mph. They say you learn to run a 4 minute mile by running 3/4 of a mile in 3minutes and then on race day you run 4 minutes. Having the boat comfy is huge so you can ignore the tired body in the boat and be “out in front”. Adding some salt to weak gatorade is helping my gym workouts because I am on a healthy diet of very little processed food therefore adding salt seems to improve endurance.

4 minute miles??
that’s 15 miles per hour, must have quite a current helping to hold that kind of pace.

HEX

L, I like that…