Racing Kayak Zzzzzzzzoooooommmmmmmmmmmmm

Wow!

– Last Updated: Jun-22-06 10:37 AM EST –

Just when I thought I have seen enough boats.
Does anyone own one of these?

Found a K1 Sprint Racing kayak for sale here:
http://toronto.craigslist.org/cgi-bin/search?areaID=25&subAreaID=0&query=kayak&catAbbreviation=boa&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

www.huki.com
Need I say more for wet wild fun!!

I love my S1-R and I am a beginner kayaker. Lots to grow into, but stable enough for the adventurous!

Kyle

what i see at the races
westside boatshop thunderbolt, epic endurance, qcc 700 in that order around here. k 1 and surfskis are faster and require another level of skill… not plastic. there was a serious paddler no longer with us who said the dagger cortez is a fast plastic touring kayak. you can build a pygmy coho or clc pax 18 or 20 for about $1000, they’re pretty fast

As rroberts krousman and swordfish

– Last Updated: Jun-22-06 5:43 PM EST –

and yanoer say, here's my take on the Prijons I own.

www.wildnet.com

http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=486202

http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=489718

The Barracuda is fast, but unstable in chop. In choppy soup, you will likely spend more time correcting your stroke and bracing than you would in forward propulsion (at least that is my experience, you can see my review on Pnet reviews). But it is a very fast plastic kayak, rated better than most composite sea kayaks (yes, it has been field tested, see other thread). Very efficient and streamlined for flatwater.

The Bay though, being rough water and sometimes unexpectedly so, is best as krousman says with the Kodiak. Better stability, still great speed. Based on personally owning both boats (I only got the Kodiak a month ago though--my Pnet review will follow after I have used it all summer), I think the Kodiak is likely, oh I don;t know, maybe 85%-90% as fast as the Cuda.

I use the Cuda for flatwater on calm days for speedy ride, adn the Kodiak for wind and slop.

Good luck.

O.K. Sprinter as well …
Cobra Eliminator is fun.

Barracuda definately faster than Kodiak
on flat water. Cooldoctor1 and I tested them one after the other a couple weeks ago on flat water and the Barracuda was definately easier to get up to speed and easier to maintain speed than the Kodiak. It just seemed like less effort to keep it moving along.

I have no idea how they would complare in bumpy conditions.

Listen here, whippersnapper!
You just stick with your mangroves and swamps and leave the big water to us yanks.

Oh

Don’t forget yer Seabond Gramps! NM

different perspectives
the prijons are sea kayaks and should be able to handle significant wind and waves. If you have a system that works for you and you are happy than that is cool, if you are looking to improve your paddling skills than you should be able to paddle barracuda in all conditions with practice. My first sea kayak was a kodiak and originally I found that in wind and waves I was bracing more than using good forward technique, with time and experience that changed. I sold that boat and now use surf ski in wind/waves and icf k1 in flat.

It all depends on what you want out of paddling but it seems as though you may be setting your self expectations lo if a 21 inch wide sea kayak is too tippy for use in the rough and only used in flat water. However if this floats your boat cool but there is a whole other world out there of boats and skills that I would encourage all to explore within their physical/mental abilities.

eugene

Futura II
Take a look at a Futura II surf ski. It is fast and far more stable than you may think. I moved up from a Seda Revenge to a Futura II and never had problems staying upright. It is also extremely easy to climb back on if you capsize. They aren’t cheap but if you want speed, light weight and stability it is hard to beat.

Thanks, sonny

– Last Updated: Jun-23-06 3:39 PM EST –

BTW, boats I've paddled on the bay: CD Solstice, CD Rumour, CD Caribou, CD Extreme, WS Tempest 170, Necky Looksha IV, Necky Chatham 18, Necky Chatham 17, Perception Shadow.

The only reason I like the Extreme for the bay is because I don't have a VCP Rapier yet.

Based on your criteria…
I would buy a Prijon Barracuda or Kodiak.

MDM

Futura a Good Choice
A good friend has owned one for a number of years. fun, fast, and comfortable, maybe even more stable than my QCC. They are a bit fragile though-he’s constantly poking holes in his it seems, plus if you ever intende to race, the length bumps you into the Open class, against much faster skis. For performance paddling though, it’s a good choice.

another vote for Futura
I’ve had to train endurance racers to paddle in a matter of weeks on numerous occasions, and the Futura II was a great boat for that purpose. Can take a complete beginner and after 20 minutes on the water they are comfortable with the stability and can begin to work on technique.

I’ve seen used ones go for under a thousand.

18 or 20?
If the 20, I’d like to read some posts on your getting acquainted experiences…

Tippiest…?
those flatwater racers (I can’t take more than three strokes before going over) followed by HP waveski.

Everything else feels like a platform in comparison. :slight_smile:

sing

Comparing
So i got curious and rented a surf ski(Fenn XT-19’x19’’,should’ve been a ‘stable’ ski) and a Necky Looksha II(20’x20’’) to see if i can handle them and what the speed is going to be like compared to the elaho. The XT was about 1 MPH faster all around than the elaho,with less effort at that. the Looksha was about .5mph faster at light cruising pace(but with less effort),and 1-1.3mph faster at fast touring pace and i maxed out at 8 mph. Looksha felt ‘tender’ but reasonably stable with ok secondary stability,i got reasonably comfy in it after the first 10 mins, but the outfitting was awful and it was totaly rudder dependant. The XT felt tippy to the point i never felt comfy with it’s stability-but i didn’t dump it like the last guy who took it out(aparently he swam 2-3 times in first 15-20 mins)

20 (of course!)
Don’t worry…when I get one, EVERYONE is gonna know.

A little of reality…
I know before mentioning surfskis and k1’s that racing boats are not for everyone; however, as eulink has already pointed out “there is a whole other world out there.”

…If one does not go out there and try to push the envelops, a barracuda in 60 lbs or any of the other looks like a “racing” boat.