Rainbow Boatworks Kevlar 49

My partner and I just scooped up a used Rainbow Boatworks canoe, 16’9", Kevlar 49. No idea on age. We bought it from an older couple who had recently purchased it used, but decided it was a little too big for their liking. We’re planning to paddle with our kids (3 and almost 7), almost certainly just day trips on flat water.

It’s our first canoe, and was a bit of an impulse buy; we’ve been watching Craigslist for a few months and the combination of price, location, and size was too good for us to pass up on.

Anyone have any info about Rainbow Boatworks, and which model this might be? I couldn’t find a SN, but am planning to look more closely when we pick the boat up. The gunwales need refinishing, and there are a few scratches on the hull, but I’m wondering if there’s anything else we should be looking at as we think about assessing the boat’s condition and potentially refurbishing.

Look at the last two numbers on the serial number, which should be the year of manufacture. Older boats can start to come apart with UV exposure.

1 Like

I’d give the boat a good scrubbing inside and out with a stiff brush and non-abrasive cleanser like Bon Ami and then coat it with 303. Snug up all the screws on the boat since they’ve probably loosened a little over the years. If it has cane seats oil them immediately or they may tear the first time you sit on them if they are super dry. Replacing cane is not hard. Scratches are unimportant unless the underlying fabric is exposed. SN is usually on the stern right under the gunwale. Just the phrase Kevlar 49 indicates it’s probably from the 80’s or early 90’s. Share a few pics!

1 Like