Rainbow River, Withlacoochie, Lake Rouseau, Florida (west coast)

Camped at the Lake Rouseau RV park last weekend and paddled the local waters. Rouseau is the western edge of the Greenway across Florida. It would have been the western end of the now abandoned cross Florida barge canal. Fortunately they didn’t complete the canal and saved a lot of good paddling water. Here are a few pictures. Withlacoochie (sp) south is one of two rivers with the same name. This particular one has more water although it often branches out and maps just call it a “swamp.” The Rainbow is a spring fed run of a river from Rainbow springs. Clear spring water.

Note there is no snow in these pictures. It got up to 70 during the day but the day we left the truck read 33 degrees. Pollen count was and 11.5 on a 10 point scale. Pass the meds please.

Wow. Awesome.

Love the photos! Did some crabbing in Crystal River years ago. Really love the spring runs and paddled many of them over the years.

I’ve paddled both. As I sit here , it is 45° and raining. Winter in the south. It will be a lush spring and no drought any time soon.

We have been to them all and love them !

A couple of comments!

1. You are lucky that you were on the Rainbow prior to Easter weekend. That is when the state park opens its tubing concession and the river is a zoo.

2. On Lake Rousseau: the “swamp” portion is wonderful if you keep out of the power boat channel, but it is loaded with submerged old cypress stumps, some of which have needle sharp points sticking up that can and will punch a hole through a light weight carbon fiber yak or canoe.

There are many many great places north, south east and west in Florida as you have discovered

Great picture of the springs !

Jack L

@JackL said:. … but it is loaded with submerged old cypress stumps, some of which have needle sharp points sticking up

Jack L

Just like Rodman Resevior on the East end of the Greenway and Lake Martin in S.C. Up in SC they call them “land mines” . Tough to look out for in waves. There’s also some in just about every Corp project depending upon water level.

@Overstreet said:

@JackL said:. … but it is loaded with submerged old cypress stumps, some of which have needle sharp points sticking up

Jack L

Just like Rodman Resevior on the East end of the Greenway and Lake Martin in S.C. Up in SC they call them “land mines” . Tough to look out for in waves. There’s also some in just about every Corp project depending upon water level.

I believe that would be Lake Marion in SC. When I was young, those stumps were standing trees. My Dad would take us crappie fishing around the floaters and brush piles.

String is correct. Lake Marion…of the Santee Cooper system. Lake Martin is in Alabama.

There is an old town on some islands off Eutawville that is a good paddle there. Launch out of Rocks Pond campground or Spiers Landing. As I recall our Charleston Carolina Sea Kayak contact said there was a storm that came through and broke off most of those trees. It is another good place to kayak. But look out for wind. A nore’ster has a 7+/- mile fetch there.

The Ghost towns of Lake Marion…http://randomconnections.com/the-ghost-towns-of-lake-marion/

A few more photos from this last November trip on Lake Marion, SC from Santee State Park.

My Dad took me fishing at Eutawville one Christmas with my brand new rod and reel. We got into a school of striped bass. The best workout that gear ever got.
On one trip, we stopped on an island that had a Confederate cemetery on it.
Our paddling group is camping at Santee SP in April.
Small world.

@Overstreet said:
String is correct. Lake Marion…of the Santee Cooper system. Lake Martin is in Alabama.

There is an old town on some islands off Eutawville that is a good paddle there. Launch out of Rocks Pond campground or Spiers Landing. As I recall our Charleston Carolina Sea Kayak contact said there was a storm that came through and broke off most of those trees. It is another good place to kayak. But look out for wind. A nore’ster has a 7+/- mile fetch there.

The Ghost towns of Lake Marion…http://randomconnections.com/the-ghost-towns-of-lake-marion/

That is a great report.

Overstreet, have you done Gum Slough or Blackwater Creek in the Seminole Forest? Lake Norris? Central Florida has lots to offer!

None of those but the Harris Chain of lakes, Dora, Griffen and big /little lake Harris.

Well, if you’re interested, and you’re down this way, give us a shout. I’d be happy to paddle them with you. I’m not sure if Gum Slough is open, but I could find out.