Rapid Runner Bilge Pump

I’ve just ordered my second Rapid Runner Bilge System. For a little over a year now I’ve had the Li-Po Battery powered bilge pump in a Lincoln Eggemoggin. Last week to break the monotony of life in general we had a rolling session. During and after the session I again reflected on how sweet this simple,durable system is. If you’ve studied paddlers in other countries you know that in New Zealand and Australia the use of battery powered pumps is common. But why the second system? Well the more I paddle the QCC700 the more I love it and last week also found me installing a small hatch immediately in front of the cockpit (like what comes in the Eggemoggin), that front hatch was my biggest draw to the Egg.

Now that the QCC has one I wanted to go ahead and make it my dominant boat, thus the addition of the Rapid Runner System.

Hi Medicine Man
Where are you going to mount the pump? Where are you going to mount the battery? I took a look the other day and Ive got to admit this system looks nice. I am still thinking about a foot pump but you are right the electric does have a lot of positives.

BTW- Are you thinking of going to Jocasee(sp) in March?

Happy Paddling,

Mark

Sure it’s nice, but $400???
That’s pretty steep for a bilge pump system.

well,
you could get the lead acid version for only $225,or you could configure an Attwood Waterbuster with lead acid Dcells for a total price of around $75,and replace the whole thing for $40 every year because of it’s weaknesses. OR,stay in the dang kayak and paddle with friends!

Mirage out of australia and others

– Last Updated: Dec-16-05 9:54 AM EST –

make and market electric pumps that might represent a better value for the more frugal.

Any of you atwood users out ther replacing pumps? I mean if you are pumping out 4 times per season how bad would that be?

not for all yet still great package
Not here to persuade to use RR. However, if one decides for any number of factors to have an electric bilge, this is not cheap but it has merits no other system has in my research. I have one for a year now, not one problem, paddler, instructor, leader, salt water rescues, solo ocean trips.

Value of this system is very compact, very light weight, seamanship waterproof redundant design, LiPolymer battery specialized unit computer controlled, safe, extremely energy dense, 6 month or longer discharge rate, ferociiously powerful.

I set mine up so battery is in front of front bulkhead fixed by a strap as system provides a way to secure and quick release it. Pump is quick disconnected to a 1" minicell layer against rear wall of front bulkhead, out of way of feet. System provides a wonderful waterproof foot switch. To recharge simply disconnect battery in 10 seconds and recharge either in home or in car (comes with car adaptor). One charge lasts for hours of continuous running of the pump quite amazing.

I am thinking of asking the RR fellow how else I might use the battery, say for recharging my cell and gps, etc. it is just that powerful.

If interested I would post how I got to justifying this expensive a system and why I do now feel it serves a worthy purpose, for me at least.

Evan

waterbuster
4 years or so , never replaced it. couple times a year, put new alkiline d’s in…don’t pump very much…it’s there if needed, T’ed with a chimp pump…mostly use the chimp on shore to get out the little in the boat…That and a spounge…(we test it often) My wife paddles this boat…all our other boats have henderson foot pumps…no batteries to ever replace, and cold water/ cold doesn’t affect them like it does battery power…never had any problem with the waterbuster…took the metal plate off the bottom, to lighten the pump…mounted it behind the seat in a '93 Nordkapp…I put one behind the seat in a Squall years ago too

I’m thinking about putting another bulkhead/day hatch behind the seat(if the wife wants it)…if I do then that boat will get a foot pump too (Henderson)

great little pump for many purposes
I have one of these guys too. great little pump for a lot of things.

Steve Maynard BCU coach tends to have one for instruction and guide work because of the ability to throw it in a student’s boat throw on the skirt and get them going or off the rocks while it pumps.

I put some Ni Hydride rechareables in it works nicely.

I have had 2 Attwood’s that failed…
and won’t consider them again. The discharge rate is too small to even consider it as a serious pump anyway. Maybe it is a backup to handpump at best.

Augustus Dogmatycus

MMV

pump
All I use it for is a back-up…they only cost around $30 and a t and a one way valve and you have something that can work while you do other things…cold effects batteries too much as a only soulution to a pump for me…I put it in to augment the chimp…both can be operated at the same time or only one if you so chose…I still prefer a footpump

more on why the RR is superior
Evan.

in my recent inquiries, many folks say there are lots of quality, DIY options for way less but this system seems to be ‘bombproof’ in terms of quality and longevity.

“If interested I would post how I got to justifying this expensive a system and why I do now feel it serves a worthy purpose, for me at least.”

i am interested.

EBP
Like I’ve said on another thread-this is an area that I have a lot of interest in. If I built a EBP system of my own I would expect the supply list to look something like this:

12v NiMH battery pack 3300 mAh $57.00

Universal charger $47.00

Waterproof foot switch ~30.00

Bilge pump $30.00

Otter box (or Nalgene water bottle) $8.00-25.00

Misc. hose and wire $20.00-30.00

I could probably find a cheaper battery/charger combo. I would not go with a lithium battery if I did this on my own because I don’t really understand the electronics. I feel it would be safer to ‘experiement’ with the NiMH.

The Rapid Runner system is more expensive for sure but if you don’t know a lot about electronics (and I don’t) it would certainly take the guess work out of the whole thing. My biggest problem is I don’t want to give up space in my cockpit for an electric pump.

David

three here
One was left in water after running and it sucked water back in through the impeller seal .

lesson:remove from standing water after running or ensure all the water is removed from under the pump as it cools down.

Two were broken from being dropped and required wrapping with 1/8" line to keep lid on.

Careful about the rubber cover over the push button switch,it can crack and fail over time. Make sure it’s screwed on well before using.

With 2v lead acid D cells it will move more water than you can pump by hand. Motor did not burn out although it’s going faster than the three 1.5v cells.

Attwood should make a heavy duty model, it wouldn’t be that hard to improve the seal, a more durable case, slightly heavier duty motor and electronics with water triggered switch could all be done with the same size pump.

all your ideas have merit and…
There are considerable problems with these systems, especially the Hydride and even more so the Li Poymer battery. I am not an electronics expert but have read considerably on the dangers, explosive dangers of improper set up, recharging, etc. So this what you pay for here.

Not everyone needs a pump maybe no one NEEDS an electric pump.

I find the RR expense justified because as solo explorer, leader, intstructor, guide, group member, it gives me another safety edge added onto all the others. It is reliable, very very compact, very powerful, and long lasting. Since only the very small pump and foot switch are present in the cockpit, and they are tucked in front of my feet, I find no compromise of my cockpit whatsoever.

A recent misadventure our pod had showed me that if some paddlers had this in their boat it would give them some options they might not elsewise have had.

On a more ordinary basis it is nice to paddle 4 seasons with the ability to keep the cockpit dry, to practice rolling, sculling, bracing and again have a dry cockpit.

Evan