Re-size an old dry suit

Is there any way to alter the size of an old drysuit? My uncle just gave me an XL (3 years old) Kokotat Gortex drysuit, but I fit between a Medium-Large. I’m going on a Grand Canyon trip next winter and need a drysuit, but would love not to have to buy a new one.

Does anyone know if there is a place that alters older drysuits/how much it would cost!? Much appreciated!!!

-Alex

Kokatat can take in sleeve and leg length but it won’t do anything for the torso size.

You could just sell it and put the proceeds towards a new Kokatat suit on some year end Special like;

https://www.the-river-connection.us/products/kokatat-drysuit-meridian-hydrus-3-0-men-yellow

Or

https://www.the-river-connection.us/products/kokatat-drysuit-radius-with-switch-zip-and-hood-goretex-men-yellow

And less of a wait time than current Kokatat tailoring production schedule.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

@its-ahob@hotmail.com said:
Is there any way to alter the size of an old drysuit? My uncle just gave me an XL (3 years old) Kokotat Gortex drysuit, but I fit between a Medium-Large. I’m going on a Grand Canyon trip next winter and need a drysuit, but would love not to have to buy a new one.

Does anyone know if there is a place that alters older drysuits/how much it would cost!? Much appreciated!!!

-Alex

Never heard of anyone doing that. I am sure it could be done by Kokatat like most anything if money is no object. It would not make sense dollar wise and Kokatat would not want the liability. Not being a tailor but I am guessing it would look funny in shape no matter what they did. Marshall has the best and thriftiest idea above. From personal experience Kokatat warranty is worth all the money you may spent over a suit a bit cheaper. Marshall is also a hands on vendor and paddler which is great to support. If you do buy a new suit and care for it they can be sold for some good money if you no longer need it.

Get a new one and maintain it, including sending it in the Kokatat annually for a wet test. It works out cheaper over time than messing around with the lesser versions. And with a new one you catch the warranty - the official poicy now is only the original user gets the warranty.
If you only need it for limited use and the heavy duty warranty is less important, get the Meridian from Marshall.
And by the way, odds are that your uncle’s suit also needs about $150 or so (I forget the prices) worth of gaskets by now, unless you want to buy the kit and do it yourself.

New gaskets are about 220 plus shipping one-way which is at least 50 with insurance.

Check gaskets by stretching ends slightly look for cracks when you pull the latex. Also the latex will not snap back firmly.