Reading sunglasses, again

I can’t find this discussion previously in the archives. I lost my Wal-mart SGs with the reading lens & haven’t been able to find them in that store, now. Help, please to find another cheap polarized pair.

Check out . . .

– Last Updated: Nov-28-08 6:35 PM EST –

www.debspecs.com

I just ordered these, which specify a use for boating: http://www.debspecs.com/No_Glare_Bi-Focal_Polarized_P977C54.cfm?display_all=true We have ordered from this site a number of times, all with good results.

sunglasses
Just bought a pair of these several weeks ago at my local Walmart. Found them in the hunting/fishing section. Perhaps you can order them from Walmart via their web site?

Industrial safety suppliers
often have glasses that are quite suitable for boating and fishing. Many have diopter reading glasses built in. And many are available for under $20.00.

Grainger, Lab Safety Supply, Global Safety etc are big national providers, but a check of teh Yellow Pages should turn up a local supplier.

Jim

Try Safety Glasses USA

– Last Updated: Nov-28-08 10:42 AM EST –

That's where I get all my eyewear for cycling, kayaking and other activities where they're likely to get lost or damaged. They have 35 styles of bifocals in clear and tinted lenses, with most costing less than $10. I've ordered from them several times and their service is excellent.

I found 'em
I went another Wal-Mart and bought their last pair.

Thanks for the responses.

Me too, hunting and fishing dept
at Wallie World

Kroger
I just saw a rack of them tonight. Don’t know if they were polarized or not.

Steve

magnifying glass
As an alternative to reading sunglasses, I’ve started to use a magnifying glass. It’s cheaper and has several other advantages. I only need to read fine detail for a few minutes per day, so why endure distorted vision all the rest of the time? Also, I’m very bad about losing or damaging sunglasses, so even a small price increase is money lost. Even with a magnifying lens in reading glasses, and even with my regular prescription glasses, there are many things that I still can’t make out, but a handheld glass gives you a far higher maximum degree of magnification. And it’s kind of cool to be able to see the intricate detail on a frond or tiny mussel that attracts your attention in the wild.

True, whipping out the old Sherlock-Holmes-lookalike may contribute to a somewhat dowdy image, but I gave up trying to look cool years ago. I actually have a set of magnifying glasses distributed across all areas of my life. After 10-15 years of gradually losing sight of the fine details in the world around me, it’s cool to have them back, even if I do have to reach for gear to make them appear.

They make all kinds of utilitarian forms now-a-days, most under $10. Some have lights built in, some are tough cases with pop-up features, some are big enough to cover half your computer screen. The one I use on the water has a light and stores easily in the map case, and is small enough to go in a front shirt pocket with room to spare.

The wife
has some stick on bifocals on her SG’s.