Ready to make a paddle

Part II…
You’ve motivate me to build some more GPs. Look forward to your second part. Always interested in seeing how others approach the cutting and carving.

Back to the original thread, I typically do much of the work with a block plane then move to using a large spoke shave, and lastly do the contouring down the blade to the blade route with small spoke shaves. Of course there’s sanding at the end and using a hand saw at the beginning. I like to put a small rib from the blade route up to 3/4 of the blade. This keeps the strength in the paddle but allows me to hollow out some more wood with the round spoke shave to make the paddle even lighter. It even gives it a neat look.

PM

On the contrary, Matt,
I thought it was very fluid and you looked fine. It’s just that before meeting you on South Manitou, I had no idea what you looked like. I couldn’t find a clear pic of you anywhere, including Reefraider’s photos of your first trip there. You’re more elusive than me when it comes to cameras, and that’s saying something!

Depends on what you can borrow:-)
I used an inexpensive (POS) plane and a borrowed high angle, Record I think, spokeshave. I had a really low angle borrowed spokeshave that I couldn’t do squat with.

But the best thing I borrowed was a good set of sharpening stones and the jig for the plane blade.

If I was buying now, I’d buy a Lee Valley high angle spokeshave and the sharpening stuff first, then replace my plane later. The thought being that when you get to where precision is important, you are also getting to the curvy bits where I used the spokeshave more.

‘Tis a kind and generous friend…
…who would loan their edge tools AND their sharpening stones. Hope you baked ‘em a cake!

Back to paddle-making: Whether one approaches paddle making with a Roy Underhill approach (unplugged) or Norm’s way (plugged in to the hilt with corporate sponsors) one tool that has value for shaping is a simple incandescent clip-on light. Use the fixture to cast a side-light on your work and move it around as needed. This really helps to be able to see what’s really going on as you shape. Less than 10 bucks & low-tech.

Bump
Airwave’s added a bit to his video for those interested.

It’s getting close but I haven’t added
all I have. I just taped shaping the blades so the end is near.

A sincere thanks
From those of us (me) with absolutely no woodworking skills, your video does a superb job of taking the mysteries out of at least producing a serviceable paddle. I own a Beale so I am not naive enough to believe that all it is going to take is some planing and sanding…There is an art to shaping the shoulders and blade that will always be individual.

Paul

while we’re at it a blank
can be glued up using a cedar 1x4 (3/4" x 3 1/2") and two strips of lattice 1/4" x1 1/2" white pine or spruce epoxied to the two faces of the cedar board to make the blank thicker in the middle. so the blank ends up 3/4" thick at the blade tips and 1 1/4" thick in the middle. theres a whole lot less wood to remove and the contrasting light and dark wood tones would make a handsome paddle.

Actually…
all it is just some cutting, planing and sanding. There is no mystery beyond doing it and getting better at it.

If you want to get artistic and laminate, some additional levels of work required. I personally am into utilitarian rather than artistic with my paddling gear.

sing

Dumpkoff, I AM!!!
took me 2 days of fiddling to finally get my replacement bandsaw blade on right. And I didn’t even lose any digits in the process. This thing may actually rough shape a paddle better than a jigsaw.

I won’t find out for awhile. Don’t have need for another GP.

sing

utilitarian it may be…
but I still feel that the paddle is going to be a very personal tool.

Paul

Yes. Each Paddle Is…

– Last Updated: Nov-21-05 11:57 AM EST –

that's why I prefer to make my own GPs. After about the 5th one, I got it to where I know I like the shape to be.

However, I not so rigid about DIY when it comes to Carbon Fiber. That I leave to Pat/Onno, after some consultation. :D

sing

Though I used a jig saw for my
video I love my Band saw. I got a great deal on it from a millionare who was retooling his home shop. It had never been used, I guess he thought if he bought a better one he’d use it.

You’re welcome.

paddle-making
Here’s a good url for your needs. gl :slight_smile:

http://www.wcha.org/paddles/