I started kayaking flatwater creeks in the area about three years ago with a 9.5 Perception. This little kayak has been a good starter but I’m thinking about upgrading a bit. Here are a few factors…
- I like to stop a lot and check out the bluffs and caves along the creek. The perception is very difficult to get in and out of.
- I like to take junk along. GPS, camera, binoculars, lunch etc. The perciption doesn’t have much for cargo room.
- I like to stay in the kayak and out of the water.
- Tuffness… lots of logs and rocks. I hit bottom a lot and also need to get out a drag the boat across logs.
- I’m large, 220lbs, and not very agile, to be honest, more like a klutz.
- I need to be able to carry the kayak and gear up to 1/2 mile.
- No white water, no ocean.