Really Big Tandem Canoes

I’m considering getting a really big canoe. I had an XL Tripper, and it was great. I sold it, foolishly. I also did a trip in a very large aluminum - maybe 22 feet. That was fun.

XL Tripper, Esquif Miramichi, Clipper Mackenzie.

Thoughts on these?

It seems the Wenonah Itasca, Sea Clipper, Bell Northshore, and Souris Quetico 18’6" are also big, but maybe in another category compared to those above.

I’m not planning on portaging much, but want a luxurious, stable canoe for floating down big rivers and paddling on big lakes (and I mean big lakes, like Lake Winnipeg and maybe Superior someday). I can move a 100+ pounds, but don’t want something that requires a trailer, or can’t be effectively paddled by two people.

I’d be interested in hearing people’s experiences with this class of “super-tripper” or “freighter” or whatever they ought to be called.

Super tripper
Never paddled any of the 3 boats you list, but I own my share of big honking tandem canoes. So I guess all I can say is in 2005 Scott Miller and Todd Foster retraced Eric Sevareid’s “Canoeing with the Cree” route in a Wenonah Champlain from St Cloud, MN to Hudson Bay. This included paddling the full length of Lake Winnipeg. But it’s not one of the boats you list…

Itasca
My wife and I paddle the Itasca.

You wanted luxurious - it is and only 75 lbs.

You wanted stable - it is.

“Effectively paddled by two.” The amount of tumblehome on this

boat at the seats makes it very easy to paddle.

We are pond and lake paddlers.

Another satisfied Itasca owner.
We’ve had an Itasca for about a year and a half and have been very happy with it. I would definitely recommend putting it on your short list if you’re looking for a high capacity tandem.

Itasca
Funny thing is I love the look of the Itasca. The wood trim they use is just beautiful. It certainly is on my short list. As much as I enjoyed my XL Tripper, the thought of buying a new royalex boat just doesn’t appeal to me the same way composites do. Must have been the hours of reading Wenonah and Clipper catalogs as a young lad when I should have been getting into trouble.

I’m certainly considering a tuff-weave Itasca, but am in no hurry as this isn’t really a canoe I need (though wants drive our economy, so maybe I should do my part!)

Nobody needs a canoe

– Last Updated: Mar-22-10 3:26 AM EST –

BUT As Ratty said -

"There is nothing- absolutely nothing-
half so much worth doing
as simply messing about in boats."

wave shedding ability

– Last Updated: Apr-09-10 11:20 PM EST –

Instead of looking at waterline length..which has its own problems...look at shear depth and shape of hull.

We have had a few hundred kms on our Wenonah Odyssey on Lake Superior in big waves..its interesting when the wave is in the middle and neither the bow or stern can reach water! We did not use a spray cover.

I did wear a drysuit in the bow and admittedly in some of those "cant reach the water " got splash in my lap. Cold. Wouldnt go with a boat with less than 23" in the bow depth and a flared bow.

This boat is quite unstable empty but firms up with several hundred lbs in it. Optimum I believe was over 500 lbs. Its a fast beast. I have heard it can still be made.

Solved!
Well, I went to an outfitter, and bought a beat-up old Quetico 18.5 which I will restore with some refinishing and structural reinforcement with 'glass.

I also bought a 20’6" kevlar boat that was home made. I don’t know what the design is called, but it is about 16" deep, 38" wide, and looks like it ought to be quite fast and seaworthy.

I haven’t paddled either yet, but hope to soon.

your place must look like
a canoe marina!

only 7, and some 'yaks

really big
"Looking for a good winter project for your Boy Scout Troop, Summer Camp, or charity racing event? We now have plans for the North Canoe, in both Recreational and a Racing versons. Either style can be built in any length from 25 to 28 feet. At 25’ these canoes have a designed displacement of 1,400 lbs. They can be configured for 6 to 10 paddlers, depending on their weight and size."

http://www.greenval.com/#North%20Canoe