Really bright new waterproof light

Princetontec Eos is a new very bright (new luxeon led) micro light that is waterproof to 1 meter. Big advantage is the ability to see way ahead, computer controlled output as battery goes down, and strobe emergency mode.

Designed with the user in mind, the EOS is optimal for both localized needs and spotting at a distance. The combination of a Luxeon/1 watt L.E.D. and the Princeton Tec designed optimized lens/collimator maximizes the beam by balancing long throw with flood light. The 3 AAA battery footprint of the EOS is similar to the Aurora providing a self contained battery system that eliminates external wires. Recognizing that different amounts of light are needed for different conditions and situations, the EOS is equipped with (3) brightness levels and a blinking emergency/signaling mode. Each level provides true current regulation ensuring that the EOS will remain at constant brightness as long as the batteries have sufficient voltage. The use of high grade materials ensures durability and strong resistance to water/weather/environment conditions.

SPECIFICATIONS:

Lamp: 1 watt Luxeon LED

Burn Time: 6.5 - 60 Hrs.

Batteries: 3 AAA Alkaline

Weight: 3.7 oz. with Batteries

Is this post a request for advice?
I am a big fan of princeton tec screw down lights. (Attitude, impact sportflare etc) I have two auroras to send back to them because they wer in no way waterproof. They had the nerve to claim the auroras were waterproof to 100 feet At least their claims for the eos are more reasonable

Friends don’t let friends buy clamshells for use in marine environments.

Don’t know about others works so far
Good to know about the auroras. This one has worked for me

so far, one month, repeated dunkings, slimy cold water, knocking around. May be it has a brass screw to cinch it down.

I got one
but I’d stick with the various 4AAA cell LED lights they make AND the 4AA LED light for paddling.

Much brighter than the Aurora
If I didn’t already own the Aurora, I’d buy the Eos in a heartbeat.

Actually, I probably will buy it anyway; can always use the Eos for reading when car camping or as another headlamp.

The Aurora is just too diffuse and dim a beam for even hiking, let paddling. My bike light (a NightRider) would be great for paddling, but it only has about a 2-hr run time and the battery requires many hours of recharge time. Plus these superbright lights are super-pricey and not meant for a marine environment.

Thanks for the new review by owner
maybe the’ll send me a couple of eos’s for my aururas and I can join you in praise!

Post or advertizement?
Anyway, I got to wondering about headlamps due to this post.

My name is Jim, and I’m a headlampaholic. I have four now (an old Princeton-Tec, a P-T Matrix, a Petzel Myo 3, and some little bitty one that lives in my on-water emergency kit.

So far I have used only the Matrix while actually paddling. It has a very diffuse beam, better for walking and reading than for picking out distant features. I believe it was one of the first LED headlamps, and has been superceded by newer technology.

My question is, for those of you who actually have used a headlamp on the water, do you find the need for a super bright beam? I have not used the Myo on water, because I don’t feel it is sufficiently sealed.

Jim

An expensive alternative
I know nothing about these and have no experience with them but you gear-heads may be interested in this site I stumbled across. Supposedly they started by making headlights for surfing.

http://www.foxfury.com/site/index.php

Out of my price range, though.

No warranty new company not for
me but might be nice if it works!

I
use a $12 rayovac headlamp. Has red,white leds and a white krypton spot . Works well even for night paddling.

jim, I swear by not at…
…my Princeton Tec Matrix, (older model with swappable bulbs, not the Matrix 2). When night paddling I rarely find the need for a bright light as my rate of speed at night is significantly slower than during daylight. Since my primary concerns are the ability to discern marsh boundaries and splash light on navigational hazards/markers, I find a moderate incandescent beam will usually more than suffice.

One notable exception occurs when fog rolls in. In foggy conditions incandescent beams are simply awful as their light bounces and reflects all around you and impairs your night vision. In fog, I’ve found the only effective solution to be that soft diffused light from the Matrix’s LED bulb. I’ve found that the softer light will penetrate the fog and not give nearly as much bounce.

In use the case has proved itself to be watertight and able to sustain reasonable abuse. Previously I had used a Petzl but was sorely disappointed with its water tightness and durability. I think the Petzl line offers many nice features but think they come up way short for use in marine environs.

I’ve no personal experience with the new Matrix 2, but REI-Outlet is running a clearance on past year stock of both versions so you might choose to do your own field test,

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Search?stat=7889&langId=-1&storeId=8001&vcat=OUTLET_SEARCH&textQuery=princeton+tec+matrix

I’ve got a couple of Black Diamond…
headlamps I’ve used paddling- a Lunar (halogen only) and a Supernova (integrated hybrid w/ 1 halogen and 2 leds, voltage regulation, variable intensity and a backup pattery). I keep the lunar in my thwart bag all the time with BD’s highest intensity bulb in it and I’ve always been impressed with how well I can see on the water with it. If there’s fog in the forecast I grab the Supernova as I agree that the LEDs seem to work better and having the option of using either lamp type simplifies things.

My daughter has one of these:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.99031/dept_id./qx/product.htm and she seems very happy with it.

Best-

~Glenn

Matrix
Interesting comment regarding the fog, Alan. My only experience was during a clear, calm dusk/nightfall. Didn’t have any trouble seeing, but could not pick out distant features with the Matrix.

Maybe this is the excuse I need to buy another headlamp!

Jim

check out this unique design…
http://www.squidlight.com/

Gear fetish?
Glad to have awoken the gear fetish monster.

One additional item that I neglected to mention. When I absolutely, positively need a stronger spot light, I resort to a good old fashioned Quad D cell Maglight. The range is significant, and the reserve power stored in the 4 D cells will deliver performance even in the colder winter months. When night paddling, the unit rests comfortably under my seat awaiting my retreval should the need present itself (but a true gear fetish monster would probably designed a handy dandy clip system for easy access…).

Bottom line is that I’ll pack with redundancy in lighting systems, (usually at least two headlamps, plus one mini mag, the large mag, and if camping a pair of lanterns). One of the great advantages of the canoe is the ability to carry substantial gear and so I’ll be able to add the additional lighting devices. It’s not an issue of a fear of darkness, but rather one of learned practicality. There are times when a trail of light is necessary to facilitate nightime gear portage and camp establishment. Evening comes quickly in the winter and so I almost always seem not to make landfall until and hour or two after sunset. Imagine an evening landing, now add the challenges presented by porting gear through a coastal fog (i.e. carrying your first load foward can be a challenge, but finding your way back to your boat for the second trip can be a disorienting challenge if you’ve not provided a target light at the boat and at critical points along the trail … light breadcrumbs if you will) and you’ll come to understand my rational for the extra lighting devices. If the weather is clear, most of the surplus will go without being used, but if needed…

Fox Fury
Got one of these for a photo sample a few days ago. It’s big and bulky, and not very comfortable. Might want to go hands-on before you spend the bucks.

Pete

Thanks everyone
In trying to be a part of the community, I see that it is helpful to post things of general interest, to speak from your own experience, and to list facts so that others can judge for themselves about whether the product, issue, remedy works for them under the conditions they need it for.

The light I posted, the EOS, may or may not stand up to long term salt water use, may or may not work in all conditions, etc, however, so far, very good for me, as 1. very ultra small, 2. no hands operation, 3. easy battery replacement 4. batteries have remained sealed so far, leakage here is frequent source of failure in any battery operated device 5. high medium and low beams all have narrow focus and also some wider beam helping pentetrate fog some ( I don’t know what works best if anything in fog, good battery life and steady beam for life of charge.

Nice to see that there are so many offerings out there now, it would be easy to get lost with how good they are without hearing from you all how some have not lived up to the hyped. Thanks again.

What works in fog
Nice to hear from people with sea experience of fog what if anythng works. Local fisherman and diver many year’s experience said nothing works really. He said the brighter the light the more is reflected back. Only stuff that works at all is white and blue white light, not yellow as thought, and a wide beam that has a sharp upper cut off to beam so less is reflected back in your eyes. Anyone?