rear view mirrors?...

YuccaDune…Allright!!
I have been looking for the square one high and low. Fella in the club has one,swears by it…had no idea where he’d bought it from…

My order went in moments ago!!

THANK YOU!!!

was she a WW or seakayaker?

Relative vehicle speeds…
… make rear view mirrors a good idea on cars and bikes where taking your eyes completely off the road can put you at risk.

In a kayak, on a lake, going along at walking or at best jogging speed, you are are very little risk like this. There is no reason to keep your eyes locked forward (and/or glancing at a tiny mirror). Just turn your body and head and look around! Constantly…

Active scanning, all the time.

Normal rotation and peripheral vision let me see back there pretty well without missing a beat. I can see the stern of my kayak with my shoulders squared front and head turned about 60 degrees to either side. With some torso rotation I need to move my head very little if at all to see behind me.

On this one I’d say skip the gadgets and stuff (and that’s coming from a designer of “stuff”). A mirror would be more of a distraction than an asset IMO.

I did try a tiny round domed stick on mirror that went right on the sunglass lens. Worked, but odd to get used to and I could just glance back more quickly and effectively than I could adjust my eye to the mirror and sort out the fish-eye perspective. Abandoned same day (2-pack, so I still have another I may revisit for cycling…)

Ohio.

"Kayak paddle with safety mirror"
Patent number: 6793547

Filing date: Dec 19, 2002

Issue date: Sep 21, 2004

Inventor: Richard Shofer

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT6793547&id=i-8QAAAAEBAJ&dq=kayak+mirror

Don’t think…
…I could get all of Ohio into the field of view

of ANY rear view mirror.

or find a gun to mount it on

I got it in mine…
… many years ago, and never looked back! L

hard to…
…hold the rifle–or even a pistol–and paddle at

the same time.

Yeah, but check out
the patent issued for a kayak paddle!

Jim

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT6328617&id=tOgHAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4#PRA3-PA5,M1

Rick, back in the late 60s, there was a
motorcycle helmet visor with little rear view mirrors attached to the perimeter of the brim. I had one, and it worked very well. I know that rear view mirrors for bicycle helmets are still available. Check into a bicycle shop, and maybe a motorcycle shop.

Who would want too
Virtually every boat I see comes with a motor, Beer can holders "bassin’ equipment, and usually has an idiot as it’s master.