Reasonable Expectation for Rec Kayak

I have an Acadia 12.5 but can’t seem to make it do anything except go straight or ferry. Is a rec kayak made to do any of this list of canoe moves or should I be looking for a differnt kind of kayak? I paddle mostly rocky class I and II.

24 Maneuvers And Strokes

1. Coasting Position
  2. Boat Boogie Wiggle
  3. Setting A Consistent Lean
  4. Scull
  5. Low Brace
  6. High Brace
  7. Righting Pry
  8. Stationary Draw
  9. Forward Sweep Onside And Offside
  10. Reverse Sweep Onside And Offside
  11. Inner Circle Onside
  12. J-Stroke
  13. Effective Forward Stroke
  14. Cross Forward
  15. Inner Circle Offside
  16. Duffek And Cross Duffek Strokes
  17. Backstroke
  18. Crossback
  19. Farback
  20. Reverse Sweep And Low Brace
  21. Compound Reverse Sweep
  22. Sideslip Onside And Offside
  23. Onside Reverse U-Turn
  24. Rolling

Thanks for your advice.

are you
able to do these strokes and maneuvers??

it ain’t the boat.

I can do all these in an Acadia.

steve

There’s boat characteristics and

– Last Updated: Feb-20-06 1:00 PM EST –

there's paddler training.

I'm guessing from your list that you have more experience with a single-bladed paddle. With a double bladed paddle "on side" and "off side" in a sweep isn't as important. (I stand ready for the wave of contempt about to be directed my way by dissenters!)

For instance, I couldn't do a duffek in any boat, because I don't know how to do a duffek.

However, I can do a low brace or a high brace and a few of the other strokes and moves you listed in my Perception America - which is pretty much just your boat on steroids (it's a foot longer and a couple inches wider but with the same lines).

Roll? Well, I suppose if you have a really strong roll, you could do it, but recreational kayaks by and large are not intended to be rolled.

Now responsiveness is a different issue. If I do an easy backstroke in my WaveSport Diesel in still water, I pretty much spin 180 degrees. If I do an easy backstroke in my Perception America in still water, I get a minor course correction.

The Acacia is a decent boat, well suited for fishing and recreation, and a good value for the money. For Class I water, no worries. For Class II, you should really consider a skirt (even a nylon skirt helps a lot) and some flotation bags to take up space. For non-technical Class II, you should be able to run in that boat. The Acacia is not made for playing in rapids, but you should be able to run through non-technical rapids up to Class II and keep the people side up more often than not. Please remember that anytime you're in rapids, right down to Class I, in any kind of boat, there is always the risk of a capsize. As one wise fellow told me, "If it'll float, it can flip." Plan accordingly.

- Big D

tracking
Most rec boats are designed to go straight. It’s pretty clear from looking at the hulls – you see a lot of extended keel lines, fixed skegs, and other tracking aids. Finding one that will respond to a duffek like a river solo canoe could be hard. You might be better off with a river-running whitewater kayak.

After taking a whitewater class I tried a duffek in my sea kayak, and almost capsized myself. It just didn’t spin around the paddle like the whitewater boat did…:slight_smile:

heck I can even
roll half way with my rec boat. (first half) While you may find it harder to play with a rec. boat most moves you can do with a canoes should be about the same as with a rec. yak.

Follow-Up
thanks for the advice. You all gave me something to work on. I’ll be in the market for another 14 foot canoe