Rebel TOK kayak?

Anyone here ever own or paddle one?
Pros and cons?

The Greenland T comes with a long, keyhole cockpit. I had the Tahe build of the Greenland T, same designer as the Rebel. The TOC is just the Greenland T with an Ocean Cockpit. I thoroughly enjoyed the T. Very capable up to F4 maybe 5 conditions, quick and maneuverable esp on edge, was a great kayak to learn to roll in. Just enough volume for short camping trips. Thatd be the only con from me.
I sold the T and bought an Ilaga, a smaller verion because I wanted an even better roller and the fit and control of an ocean cockpit. The T will probably be the last keyhole cockpit kayak I own, much prefer ocean cockpits.
Cant say enough good things about the T, recommend test-driving one. The TOC would be even better than the T.

Thanks Heatfmg.
It sounds like what I am wanting. Here in Wyoming I get to test paddle only those used kayaks I have found to buy and re-sell so I am asking for input from those that actually know about this kayak.
I have a Chatham17, a Sea Lion Shadow and an Eddyline Fathom so I have kayaks now that will hold gear and food enough for week long trips and more if there is available drinking water on those trips. But for a few hours and up to 3 days the TOK looks like the perfect kayak for me because it’s slim and should be fast enough for any trip I’d want to pout it to and the small cockpit may be the perfect answer to the one problem I have had with the Fathom and the Chatham. My legs are short but thick. The thigh hooks on the Fathom are too high because of the high decks and where I sit with the foot pegs I have a lot of room to get locked in and must bend my knees a lot. I made a masik to help me with that problem and it’s been ok. The Chatham17 on the other hand has very small hooks and my thighs don’t lock into them very much. I can roll if I want to, but when I get knocked over unexpectedly most times I fall out because the hooks do not come to the 12:00 on my thighs. The stop at about my 2:00 and my 10:00 on my thighs. I have tried foam but the fact is I simply need braces that are about 1.25 to 1.5 inches wider side to side to make my legs stay in. If I roll intentionally I have time to flex and put outward pressure on the braces and then I can roll fine, but just 2 weeks ago I got hit by a wave I didn’t see, when I was twisted around to get a rope and I just came out of the cockpit mas soon as I hit the water. I think with enough practice I could get fast enough reactions to flex outward but it may be just a great excuse top buy a TOK and try the small Ocean Cockpit. So I am thinking hard about a TOK.

But want to learn from others first and see if my ideas have merit or if I am missing anything important.

1 Like

The first time i slid into an OC kayak, on somebody’s lawn, I said oh hell no, what a death-trap. You definitely won’t fall out of an ocean cockpit. Is a concerted effort to get in and out of a kayak fit with an OC. Getting out of one quickly requires some practice. Some folks fear entrapment, esp w/o a reliable roll, but I suspect you will not, and will enjoy the control it provides.
This is a good video regards kayak fit, with some OC focus, in case you’ve not already seen it.

Well Heat, I am going to find out I guess. I have one coming.

Superb, Steve. I hope it is everything you want in a kayak. Look forward to hearing how much you are enjoying it.

I’ll post here when I get it and have some hours in it. However the delivery date is in March. So it’s going to be a few months. Odd,but I can’t find even 1 review or report from a single owner anywhere on the internet.

I may be the 1st one.

1 Like