reboarding a C1 marathon canoe

-- Last Updated: May-12-08 3:48 PM EST --

saw something i read on this board was impossible: a guy flipping a C1 in water over his head, get the water out and reboard the canoe without help from anyone or a paddle. conditions were pretty flat, but they're almost always flat for marathons. it was pretty amazing.

OK, I’d have said it was imposible
How did he do it?

Impossible for me
Except for the flipping part.

with grace
it was very impressive.

he first got the canoe completely upside down, went under it, scissor kicked and then pushed the boat up and out of the water while flipping it over onto the hull.

then he reached in the canoe and put one hand in front of the seat in the bilge and his opposite elbow on the seat itself.

next he kicked a few times, pushed down on the canoe (this was the part that was perplexing me) and pulled himself up onto the canoe.

then swung his legs around, grabbed his paddle and took off again. it was pretty amazing.

It probably was Canunut
I am quite sure he practices it.

Keep in mind one of those things is only 18 pounds.

It is the getting back in that amazes me.

Cheers,

JackL

wasn’t canunut
but definitely a “canoe nut.” we were just paddling along, talking about racing, etc., and he talked about self-rescue like it was something everyone could do.

i thought he was joking at first. but we got to a deep water spot and he did it on the first try.

canunut does
practice self recovery all the time. He is quite proficeint at it.

Baldpaddler looked like he was going
down for the third and final time the other day after he and his partner flipped in the Yadkin Race.

That’s what you get for passing us!

Cheers,

JackL

Baldpaddler is a marathon swimmer
Charlie has probably swum more marathon miles and made more reentries than anyone in flatwater racing. And he makes it look so routine.

His technique sounds like
standard training for Boy Scout Canoeing merit badge- at least it was when I was a Scout oh so long ago- before men walked on the moon.

To earn the badge, (among other skills) we practiced unassisted re-entry daily until able to do it succesfully.

That being said, the type of canoe does make a difference, and a racing canoe would make the reentry an admirable feat of timing and agility.

Another eyeopener might be to see someone paddle a completly swamped canoe- it isn’t easy, but it can be done if necessary.

Kaps

BP even swam in the Edisto when
there was no race. So did I but, I’m not nearly as experienced.

Other scouts but same
It is quite reminiscent of what I was supposed to learn to do in girl scouts many moons ago, again of course hardly in a racing canoe.

I think I was the only one in my cabin group who hadn’t pulled it off at least a couple of times at the end of two weeks (not for lack of trying), so my companions proved that the technique was workable.

It was a paddlesnake on the edisto

climbing in
Unassisted a side entry is impressive. I have done it from the end, the more volume the boat has the better it works and the less water creeps in.