Recommend a kayak for me?

I used to have a CD Solstice SS and loved it. It was 17’x22" and had a 29" long cockpit. That last dimension was the problem; I had an awful time getting out of the cockpit, even after moving the seat back an inch. I had to get rid of it.
Is there a kayak that is a similar size and design (with a rudder…) that has maybe a 34" long cockpit? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I would rather have plastic than composite, but will consider anything.

Last night my kayak got washed off the beach and now has 3 holes in it. The last few storms I secured it and then saw that the worst waves were 3’ away, so last night I didn’t bother. I bought it used really cheap, never liked it, and can make it like new (if 10 pounds heavier and even uglier) with a little FG, but it is a sign I need something I like.

QCC 700x has 30 inch long cockpit. Can find them used easily. Has rudder but its not plastic .

One trick you could do is as you see boats, look up the skirt size on the Seals Skirt sizing guide (http://www.sealsskirts.com/sizing/fitter.php). The Solstice SS is a Seals size 1.2, which is small. The larger the number, the larger the cockpit. Try something in a 1.4 or even a 1.6 or 1.7.

As time has gone by, boat manufacturers have generally made cockpit openings larger. So if you look toward newer boats, you are much more likely to get larger cockpits. You liked CD before, so looking at their new plastic boat the Squall - it has 34" long cockpit https://www.cdkayak.com/Kayaks.aspx?id=36.

Probably most any boat by Wilderness Systems, and they are usually reasonably available nationwide, would meet your cockpit size requirement.

The Current Designs Sirocco is about as easy to get in and out of as any sea kayak there is. However technique and lots of practice is the key, no matter how you go about it. I would strongly recommend learning to get in and out, always on the same side of the boat. It takes awhile, but your balance, where to put your hands and what moves to make should be automatic with no thought required and after you’ve done it a few thousand times, you’re set.

This may be a little different then what you were thinking but since you said the cockpit was the concern, why not a kayak that doesn’t have one.? This Epic V7 is not one of those narrow racing surfskis but a nice stable boat that even has storage. Look into them (and those like it) to see if it might be a better option.

https://youtu.be/hV54u8CT5KI

The CD Breeze is a shortened plastic version of the Solstice series, 13.5’ by 25" with a 34.5" long cockpit. There’s also the Whistler, at 14.5’ by 24" with a 37.5" cockpit - one of those should be big enough to get out of easily. I have a FG version, Pachena at 14’ with a long cockpit - it is similar to a Solstice in some respects, just shorter and wider - it’s a great boat.

The CD Vision series also has long cockpits, but I’ve never tried one.

New Solstice GTS adds 2" in length to the cockpit. Add HV for another 3/4" in hieght you have a huge difference.

Solstice GT is 33" cockpit

My Nomad & Extreme have 29.5" cockpit. I squeeze in and out. I’m 6’ 235 lb. Did move seats back. One is HV whichs adds a lot as far as getting in.

My Venture Easky 15 has a 17" x 31" cockpit – I have pretty long legs and have no trouble entering the kayak by dropping my butt (42" hips) into the seat first and then drawing each leg into the fore of the cockpit one at a time – reverse operation to exit. The thigh braces also do not intrude under the coaming lip like those in some models of kayaks’ keyhole cockpits.

I just checked specs and the larger Easky 17 has a capacious 19" x 34" cockpit. Boat itself is 16’ 7" by 23" beam with a rudder – probably compares quite favorably with your beloved Solstice in lines and water feel – also is half the cost and only 4 pounds heavier even though it is poly. I think you would like the performance of an Easky better than you would the more barge-y WS Tsunami 165. Easkys are fun in the water and nicely made (molded in Great Britain.)

A lot of people don’t know that Venture is a poly line under the renowned P & H brand. They bring their sea kayak design talent to these more moderately priced boats.

http://www.lakegeorgekayak.com/Venture_kayaks_Easky17_specs.htm

BY the way, don’t know whereabouts you are located, but I just noticed that Lake George Kayak (the shop in upstate NY whose link I posted for the Easky spec) has a “demo” Easky 17 with rudder on sale for $999 – that is $600 off list price. Darn good price for that boat if it’s geographically handy for you.

One of the things I miss about the old Pnet forums is that most people put their general location in their profiles. It really does help us give useful advice if people who post questions let us know where they are located. Getting fixated on “the perfect boat” which turns out to be “unobtainium” within your region can be very frustrating.

I am 7 hours from Lake George, but found an Easky 17 about an hour away; also for $1,000 with a rudder.
I had a Cappella 166 for a while, but never liked the skeg. Sold it for a small profit. They look very similar, though the Eskay is an inch wider.

Anyone else have an opinion on this boat?

I am 65, about 30 pounds overweight, with arthritis in my knees. Getting out of a kayak isn’t as easy as it was 40 years ago.

@Toller said:
I am 7 hours from Lake George, but found an Easky 17 about an hour away; also for $1,000 with a rudder.

Anyone else have an opinion on this boat?

I am 65, about 30 pounds overweight, with arthritis in my knees. Getting out of a kayak isn’t as easy as it was 40 years ago.

Can you and your arthritic knees carry a 58 lb kayak? Would you use a cart to move it between the car and the water?

I suggested it because it has an unusually large cockpit (which would help with entry) for such a relatively narrow boat. There are two reviews of it on here that offer some detail on handling. Though they are older and the company has changed the rigging and seat since then. Seat is quite comfortable and top folds down as a sort of backband arrangement that doesn’t impede stroke. I like little details about Easkys like the compass recess, the slot and bungee paddle retainer device ahead of the coaming and the steel bar molded into a recess on the deck that allows you to secure it with a cable lock onto your roof rack or a structure for security. I admit I am partial to Brit boats with low Greenland style decks.

@Yanoer said:

Can you and your arthritic knees carry a 58 lb kayak? Would you use a cart to move it between the car and the water?

Not far! But I live on the water, so it is not a big problem.

@Toller said:

@Yanoer said:

Not far! But I live on the water, so it is not a big problem.

Good, that gives you more options than people, like me, that need light boats so as not to abuse our shoulders and knees when loading and unloading the boat from the vehicle and carrying the boat.