Recommend a SOT Kayak Under $1K

Got the paddling bug last summer and bought a Perception Pescador 10 for about $400. Figured it was cheap enough to get my own yak and see if I stayed interested.

Well, it’s been over a year and I’m hooked. I do think it’s time to upgrade from the Pescador though. I never intend to fish, so a fishing kayak was probably not necessary, although I thought I needed the storage hatches at the time (guess what? I never use them)

So looking for another SOT. I’m in Dallas so mostly using in calm lakes, coves, and small rivers. No whitewater ever.
I still want stable, but a little faster yak that I don’t have to work so hard paddling would be nice.
One small hatch for wallet, keys etc. is still preferred.
Enough room for a small cooler.
The lighter the yak, the better.

Any suggestions?

I’ve got REI, Dicks, Cabelas, Bass Pro, Academy etc all close by. Also open to mail-order. Not sure what decent brand dealers we’ve got around here, but I could get to Austin, which has more of a Kayak culture as well.

Wife just sold PESCADOR 10 for OK Venus 11, loves it.

Go to Austin Kayak. They have tons of models. This one is in your budget range and being 4" narrower and 2’ longer will be faster, is also 2 pounds lighter than your Pescador and can be fitted with a rudder for tracking…

https://www.austinkayak.com/products/5737/Ocean-Kayak-Tetra-12-Kayak.html

The tetra is a flawed design. Water pools from the foot area scupper holes towards the seat. Any weight in the tankwell compounds the problem. Great if you want monkey butt.

ACK does have good selection.

Sounds like it needs some ballast in the stern. My impression is that Ocean Kayak is a relatively cheapo brand not known for excellence in design. You get what you pay for.

I thought SOT use pretty much made monkey-butt inevitable no matter which model you had, but what do I know? I get a wet lap and puddle butt from paddle drip any time I paddle without a sprayskirt in my SINKs. And the few times I’ve been forced to rent SOT’s it was a wet ride.

What are some quality made SOT Kayak brands since Ocean is “cheapo”? Several have told me about Wilderness Systems, but their Tarpon is basically a Pescador.

The Liquid Logic Coupe looks nice.
The Ocean Kayak Venus 11also seems nice.

I want to track well, but also offer some stability (don’t want to stand up in it, but don’t want to flip all the time either just from shifting my weight)., Also want a lighter kayak. The Pescador 10 can be heavy when by myself. I’m a female btw.

Go with the venus 11. Note that the weight limit is probably 190 and height is under 6’ tall. Cuts thru the water so much better than the Pescador

@rnsparky said:
Go with the venus 11. Note that the weight limit is probably 190 and height is under 6’ tall. Cuts thru the water so much better than the Pescador

Will definitely check it out. I hope to be able to demo it.

I have owned 4 Tarpons. While no SOT is a dry ride in bumpy conditions, I can’t tell you the last time I had a wet butt in calm water . The one I have now is the new version which has been out a few years. It has an elevated seat with scuppers.
I also have an Eddyline Carribean in the Classifieds that is a dry ride and is within your budget. Unfortunately, I live in SC.
Re 4 Tarpons. The first 2 were the old style where you were always sitting in a puddle. The Third was a 140 and I liked the 160 better.
When I was a lot younger, I could keep up with sea kayaks.

To get the best information about kayaks to fit, you should post height and weight, because they make a real difference in the size of boat you should be looking at. Also look on craigslist for older models of kayaks like Ocean Kayak, Necky, Heritage, RPM and some companies from South Africa, a few years ago you could buy a really decent fast SOT that was not a heavy floating barge. The long tarpons 16’ are pretty decent boats.

If you are on the small side, check out the RTM Disco. A great little SOT.

I’m 5’8" and weigh under 150lbs.

I’ve been on several websites and it looks like most SOT 's are really short, bare bones yaks or wide, barge like yaks mostly made for anglers. I haven’t found many that strike a good balance.

I am looking at 2 however that seem good for my purposes(100% warm, flatwater). The Ocean Kayak Venus 11 and the Ocean Kayak Caper 11.

The Caper is 11’ long, 31"wide, and weighs 47lbs. One big hatch up front and costs $700.

The Venus 11 is also 10’8" long, 28.5" wide and weighs 44lbs. It’s shown with 2 hatches. One large at bow and one molded in, in front of seat. This yak costs $750.

Based off these specs, I’m leaning towards the Venus 11. I’m having a hard time finding a lot of reviews though.

It certainly seems like it will be easier to paddle than my Pescador 10.

Any comments on this line of thinking?

@globe109@msn.com said:

I’ve been on several websites and it looks like most SOT 's are really short, bare bones yaks or wide, barge like yaks mostly made for anglers. I haven’t found many that strike a good balance.

I am looking at 2 however that seem good for my purposes(100% warm, flatwater). The Ocean Kayak Venus 11 and the Ocean Kayak Caper 11.

The Caper is 11’ long, 31"wide, and weighs 47lbs. One big hatch up front and costs $700.

The Venus 11 is also 10’8" long, 28.5" wide and weighs 44lbs. It’s shown with 2 hatches. One large at bow and one molded in, in front of seat. This yak costs $750.

Based off these specs, I’m leaning towards the Venus 11. I’m having a hard time finding a lot of reviews though.

I have the Disco and like it quite well. I am 5’3" and 145 lbs. It’s faster but playful kayak (given its rocker) for ocean. I’ve used it to surf waist high (3’) ocean waves. I 've been around the Venus 11. Was paddling/chatting along side a female paddler in some ocean small waves and refracted stuff along a breakwater. The boat (or rather the paddler) handled it well. She liked the boat. It maintained OK speed for what she wanted, I left her after our quick chat, going by her at my usual 3-3.5 MPH pace.

I personally prefer my Disco (appropriate for more paddle venues, except for class III and up WW). But, if you are sticking to lakes and short near shore distance paddles in the ocean, the Venus 11 is appropriate and slightly lighter and easier to cartop.

sing

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I prefer SOT since I only paddle in calm lakes during warm weather. I stick my feet in the water to cool off and sometimes jump off to go swimming.

Not looking for huge performance yak, but the Pescador sometimes feels like I’m paddling a barge

Check out the Hurricane skimmer 128.

EMS has a decent sale on that Hurricane Skimmer 128 at the moment for $840 (26% off). Only 43 pounds and about the same width as the Venus. A little longer means slightly faster. Nice looking kayak with features lacking in the Venus like sliding foot-pegs, three dry hatches and adaptable to a rudder. The listing linked below includes a video showing the model on the water and up close :

https://www.ems.com/hurricane-kayaks-skimmer-128-kayak /20247100014.html?mrkgcl=661&mrkgadid=3216391629&emssrcid=PPC%3AgooPLAs%3A331011431664_product_type_paddle_product_type_kayaking&product_id=20247100014&adpos=1o1&creative=203961869004&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKCAjw14rbBRB3EiwAKeoG_9fnQRc1xrun9lWSKVbUFxArXivCS-XFrfV8d6YqmY-2A1CYnKGC6BoCBr4QAvD_BwE

I have paddled the Pescador 10, and I own a Hurricane Skimmer 128, which is almost 3 ft longer, and more than 10 lbs lighter than the Pescador. It is much more fun to paddle, and easier to handle off the water, too.

The Skimmer 116 might even be better for your stated purpose. It is much lighter and better handling than the Venus.

That is a great price for the Skimmer 128 in the link willowleaf posted.

That Skimmer 128 looks attractive.

@sing said:

@globe109@msn.com said:

I have the Disco and like it quite well. I am 5’3" and 145 lbs. It’s faster but playful kayak (given its rocker) for ocean. I’ve used it to surf waist high (3’) ocean waves. I 've been around the Venus 11. Was paddling/chatting along side a female paddler in some ocean small waves and refracted stuff along a breakwater. The boat (or rather the paddler) handled it well. She liked the boat. It maintained OK speed for what she wanted, I left her after our quick chat, going by her at my usual 3-3.5 MPH pace.

I personally prefer my Disco (appropriate for more paddle venues, except for class III and up WW). But, if you are sticking to lakes and short near shore distance paddles in the ocean, the Venus 11 is appropriate and slightly lighter and easier to cartop.

sing

The Disco sells for$750.