Recommend Canoe for outboard

I currently have a non brand canoe from Dicks. It was ok as a starter but now I am ready to upgrade. I have attached a 2.5 hp outboard on a side mount. It makes a nice 5mph, but I feel the boat has a lot of “Flex”. I am not sure this is the right term, but I notice the boat bows up in the bottom when on the water and “squashes” or bows out on the sides. This is with 2 passengers at 350 (220 for me, 130 for my daughter) and another 50 lb gear including the outboard. The boat is rated for 3 passengers and over 700 lb. It is 14 foot long.

Is this “flexing” normal?

I would like a 3 person canoe to use with the outboard on smooth lake water. Light fishing and general goofing off. (today I used the outboard to get to a remote area of the lake and my daughter read a book while a paddled the shore and drowned worms)

Any recommendations on a replacement boat. I am VERY confused.

Shawn

if you are not into paddling, consider
a square stern canoe at least 15 ft long, . Most square sterns are heavier and don’t paddle as well as a double ender, but are designed to hang a motor off them. Old Town makes a nice one:

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/huntingFishing/predator_ss150.html

Grumman canoe
I’ve got a Grumman canoe with a 6 h.p. motor that is fast enough for the kids to kneeboard behind. It’s a 19 foot alumanum. Doesn’t paddle all that well but works great with a motor!

Oil Canning is normal in cheap canoes

– Last Updated: May-21-07 11:23 AM EST –

and in canoes that are being dynamically overloaded. Dynamic overloading mainly happens when a canoe is: Being improperly towed by a motor boat (Towing is normally a very bad practice that can cause structural damage if not done properly). When a motor us used it makes the central area of the floor the fulcrum point for the load and the driving forces. This greatly increases the force applied to the central areas of the canoe. It also happens to paddled canoes too lightly laid up. And sometimes when overloading an otherwise normal canoe while under paddle.

In this case I would assume your Dick's boat falls into the first three of these categories.

It sound like you primarily use this canoe for motoring. Get a square stern canoe specifically made for motors. You will be much safer and happier. Minimum length probably should be around 15 foot. Look to manufacturer for specs, limitations, and requirements.

>:^)

Mick

Even the Coleman Scanoe or its
Pelican version would do better. Both have a metal rod down the middle for added rigidity.

Any canoe that depends on a “metal rod”
(in this case an alum tube) YOU DO NOT WANT!!! It means that the hull is too weak and they use the tube to keep the floor from pushing just sitting thre doing nothing. This tube WILL bend, especially in your case where using a motor. Then what do you do?! Avoid canoes with metal tubes along their keel!

:^)

Mick

Get a john boat.

Agree with String
Get a jon-boat or another paddle so your daughter can help.

Actually, they hold up quite well for

– Last Updated: May-21-07 2:09 PM EST –

pigs they are. Its rare that the tube bends.

Or, you can forget the outboard
and buy the Wenonah Spirit II.