Recommendations for Booney Type Hats?

I hate when that happens… I couldn’t take anything without trying to return it…
…except that Ferrari I found many years ago.

If I find something really nice and/or valuable, rather than turning it in someplace where it might just end up being adopted by whoever received it, I leave a message with the lost and found with a generic description of what I found and my contact info. Whoever calls to identify the details gets it back. We had that dilemma some years ago when my boyfriend at the time spotted a roll of cash (nearly $300) on the grounds of a beer garden the morning after there had been a large party with a live band the night before. He figured somebody would really miss that but if we turned it in to the bar staff there was no guarantee they would attempt to return it. So I suggested that we just tell them we found some money and if somebody called looking for it to get in touch with us and if they could tell us how much and how it was found (with a red elastic hair tie wrapped around it), we would return it. We never heard anything so after a month we just spent it.

I usually write my name and phone number inside my hats with a Sharpie but I had not gotten around to that with that little grey hat.

I’d like to add another candidate for paddling hat that I have yet to see mentioned. I was at the local Scottish Highland Games last weekend and there was a vendor selling British style waxed cotton jackets, vests and hats. I tried on one of the hats and really liked it. Paid a little more than I could have on line but enjoyed talking to the vendor and the fit and color of the one he had in stock was just right. It’s an Outback Trading model 1462 Madison River packable in sage green.

I’ve already worn it on a warm day hike and found it surprisingly comfortable for a waterproof hat. I bought a Filson “tincloth” hat some years ago and found it too snug and intolerably hot (gave it away). The inside band on Madison River is wide absorbent stretchy elastic material and the hat crown has ventilation grommets. The hat floats in water and stays on my head well but I will probably add a chin cord to it for windy conditions. The quilted brim is just the right depth and not floppy. Has a lot of classic character and I expect it will gain more over time. Looks like a hat that will last. Even has a little hideaway pocket in the crown. And their size range is impressive as hats go. I usually take an XL but this L fits me well and the model even goes up to XXL (24 1/2" noggin diameter or 7 7/8" size).

https://www.outbacktrading.com/products/1462-madison-river-oilskin-hat?variant=12735485378613

Very nice congrats…
I have a cheaper one of similar style that people like. Expect compliments on yours.

Get up off that fat wallet and getcha one of these: Not really a folder but does great in the wind.

https://www.sheltahats.com/

If not, just try the Army/Navy store.

I could care less what people think. If it keeps the UV off my aging ,and sun damaged head.

1 Like

Those Sheltas look pretty similar to the OR Seattle Sombreros and are around the same price. Nice hats. I have a couple of Sombreros already (unlined for hot weather and lined for cooler) and they have been my favorites to date for paddling and hiking. This new hat is a little less sports gear-looking – honestly, it’s kind of jaunty and something I would wear on the street as well as on the water. It’s very well made.

Funny thing about hats: sometimes you put one on and it just feels right. I was not really looking for another hat but this one sort of “found” me and I couldn’t talk myself out of it.

All I need is a pipe and a buckskin shirt and I’ll look like a female “Mark Trail” (how many of my fellow geezers remember THAT daily comic strip about woodsy adventures and nefarious villains trying to despoil the wilderness? I always figured the inside of Mark Trail’s hat must be kind of oily from the pomade he appeared to have on his shiny dark hair…maybe it was bear grease. Or “Brylcreem, a little dab’ll do ya”…)

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/original-comic-strip-art-mark-trail-1738514880

Unfortunately, I do remember that comic.

You can get a ( Propper ) Boone at Amazon.

I like the Tilley hats from Bass Pro Shop. Very nice, ventilated, and they have a wide brim that keeps the sun off.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redhead-10-point-vented-hat-for-men

Uh-oh! There are people who think you are crazy for paying for a Tilley. Luckily, you didn’t do that.
I’m on my second. It was free.

I too am on my second Tilley (first free one) . I don’t wear it all that much.
They do honor their guarantee.

@Butch A said:
I like the Tilley hats from Bass Pro Shop. Very nice, ventilated, and they have a wide brim that keeps the sun off.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redhead-10-point-vented-hat-for-men

That’s a nice looking hat. I have an Orvis (fishing?) hat (far right) that has nice coverage and excellent ventilation but the brim is too big for my canoe paddling style since I can hit it hard enough to hurt myself (and feel pretty damn stupid) while flailing around doing hit and switch paddling. Maybe I can swap it with one of you kayakers. Then I’ll get a kayak and want it back.

@willowleaf said:
I always figured the inside of Mark Trail’s hat must be kind of oily from the pomade he appeared to have on his shiny dark hair…maybe it was bear grease. Or “Brylcreem, a little dab’ll do ya”…)

I remember that character as well - I’m guessing he was a Dapper Dan man, definitely not Fop

DON’T get the Columbia Bora-Bora. The brim is floppy and uncontrollable and the chin-cord rubs on my ears. Good feature, though is the mesh crown; it’s VERY cool and refreshing.

Does "boonie " refer to the hat or the wearer?

That’s one of the features I like about this Outback hat – the brim is stiff enough to not be deflected by wind but flexible enough to allow the hat to be rolled up. It will get its first extended on-the-water test this week when I take the canoe up to Lake Arthur.

@greyheron said:
DON’T get the Columbia Bora-Bora. The brim is floppy and uncontrollable and the chin-cord rubs on my ears. Good feature, though is the mesh crown; it’s VERY cool and refreshing.

Now you tell me!
I got one and it is very light weight maybe too light. I tried it on my bike and it flops around. Haven’t given up on it yet but it would be better suited to use poolside but I never do poolside .
I can’t believe all the good reviews…

Dorfman Pacific makes a whole bunch of mesh crown hats if you want something that ventilates. I used to have one like this but the pre-teen son of one of my friends coveted and evidently swiped it. It was a pretty good hat for paddling but a little too Crocodile Dundee-looking for my taste, so I didn’t attempt to retrieve it from him. I will say that the cord arrangement with the slider worked very well keeping it on in the wind and it had a stiff brim that didn’t flop.

https://www.villagehatshop.com/product/sun-protection/451139-416397/dorfman-pacific-company-solarweave-breezer-aussie-hat.html

@grayhawk said:
I can’t believe all the good reviews…

exactly