Recommendations for easy gelcoat repair kit?

My new used kayak has a small (1/8”-1/4”) chip in the gelcoat. I have been told I should fill it in to eliminate the weak spot, and to get a gel repair kit to do it. Any brand or kit you recommend?

Also, I’d like to try to match the color. Would it be OK to just use white and then paint in with the kind of epoxy paint people use for model airplanes? Or should I get a kit with colors and mix it in? Thanks.

I would check with a boat repair business and see if they might have some gel coat that’s close enough to the right color. For such a small repair, they might even give you a little.

If you’ve never done this kind of repair, you should get some instruction on it. You might be able to find it right here. It has been discussed a number of times.

First off, gelcoat is not a structural component, so damage to it will not create a “weak spot”. For such a tiny repair, you can get small tubes of gelcoat repair material at places like West Marine, though you may be able to find it cheaper online. How you color it is up to you, but paint is probably your best bet. Model paint or automotive touch-up are two good, inexpensive options.

When you mix tints with white gelcoat, you end up with pastel colors, so unless your boat is gray, powder blue or something similar, getting a good match is difficult. Working with clear gelcoat is better, but I haven’s seen it in any quantity smaller than a pint.

OK, thank you both. I guess rather than say “weak spot” I should’ve said, a spot that might continue to chip and create a larger flaw if not fixed.

You are on LI, right? There are West Marine stores there, one in East Pathougue for ex. You want to get a set that includes the gel and a hardener, they have it, and whatever color tints match for the color you need. Word of warning, make sure the mixed in and colored batch is a good match for what is on the boat. My Vela has a pink spot among hard red when I got lazy. I think it adds distinction but everyone doesn’t agree.

It is pretty easy. Do it outside because the fumes aren’t great for you. And if it is a deep gouge, do it in multiple coats so it cures for a better result. Medium then fine sandpaper to smooth out any lumpiness.

@Doggy Paddler said:
My new used kayak has a small (1/8”-1/4”) chip in the gelcoat. I have been told I should fill it in to eliminate the weak spot, and to get a gel repair kit to do it. Any brand or kit you recommend?

Also, I’d like to try to match the color. Would it be OK to just use white and then paint in with the kind of epoxy paint people use for model airplanes? Or should I get a kit with colors and mix it in? Thanks.

I would not be to concerned about a chip as small as you are talking about. Gelcoat is a sacrificial layer that protects the underlying fabric. Is any fabric showing?

Yeah, the chip is small but goes all the way down.

Celia, I’m in the Hudson River Valley.

Thanks for the good advice!

@Celia said:
My Vela has a pink spot among hard red when I got lazy. I think it adds distinction but everyone doesn’t agree.

As I eluded to above, that’s what happens when you mix red pigment into white gelcoat. In order to actually get a match - if you can at all - you’d have to use way more than the recommended amount of pigment.

Hi Doggypaddler. Yes, if the fiber is showing you need to get that covered up. Water can soak in there and gradually take apart the layers of treatments and fiber.

The Hudson Valley appears to be a skip for West Marine, in fact your nearest location may be up here in Latham. No Hamilton Marines in NY state.

That said, this goop is pretty standard stuff, so if you can find a marine repair shop that also sells stuff for repairs they likely will have it. Issue may be the quantity, too much. But worth a stop.