recommendations for kayaks for tall guys

I am 6’6" tall (inseam 36") 215lbs, with a size 13 shoe. I have had difficulty finding a kayak that is comfortable to stay in for any length of time. Looking for recommendations for a kayak to be used primarily for touring on lakes/slow rivers with some usage in the bay. Does anyone have any suggestions?

custom bulkhead
I’m sure this isn’t too helpful… but if you found a glass kayak you really wanted (poly too maybe) you could have it made with a custom bulkhead. That would take care of the inseam issue.

How long?
There are a few kayaks in which you would fit. Do you have a sense of how long of a boat (e.g. shorter, longer or around 16’)and whether you want compsite or poly?

How big is the bay you might be paddling?

Around here…
…the popular boats for big guys seem to be the CD Gulfstream, the Nigel Foster Legend, the NDK Explorer (std. or HV) and the VCP Argonaut/Aquanaut. You might be surprised how many boats you’ll actually fit in if you set the foot pegs far enough forward that your feet are angled substantially. That simple adjustment dramatically increase footroom.

Hmm
Wilderness system T-160 SOT!!

Chatham 18
Has the bulkhead placement and foreward deck height to accommodate basketball players :wink:

Necky Zoar Sport…
works well for me - 6’4, 220, 34"inseam, size 13 feet, room to spare. Has decent speed for a short touring boat, handles well in a wind without a skeg or rudder.

Impex Assateague

– Last Updated: May-25-05 9:22 PM EST –

You don't say what your waist dimension is, but I have the same dimensions as you and recently purchased an Impex Assateague and find it comfortable and very well suited for the paddling that you intend to do. I can use the foot braces in the Assateague, whereas other boats the braces are too far aft.

Some of the other boats mentioned (Chatham especially) have smaller cockpit dimensions and therefore may be tight fitting. Also the fore deck hight may be cramped for your feet.

Impex will "custom" build you a boat, in that they will move the bulkhead and the footbrace position to your dimensions at no charge. The other companies may not offer this.

Wilderness Systems 180 Pro is another boat to consider. However, I found that the footbraces were too far aft for me.

Also consider a Perception Eclipse. You could find a decent used (poly) one for well under $1000.

Welcome to the Tall Man's Paddle Shop!

TheBigYaker

Yes, my Necky Looksha Sport is also
roomy enough, except that I had to cut windows in the sides of the seat for my wide-set hip bones. I’m 6’ 5" and about 220#.

There can be two problems, getting in and out, and staying comfortable. I have a WW kayak, a Dagger Animas, which is the most comfortable and proper-fitting boat I have ever owned, once I am in it, but I had to trim the thigh hooks back radically to be able to get in and out safely.

Take a look at…
The Perception America 13.5. I’m 6’5" 300# and it fits me with a lot of room to spare. You can also add a rudder to the boat if you wish. hth.

T160
The WS Tarpon 160 would fit a bigger guy than you, and with a custom seat installed is very comfortable.

Just about any glass boat…
will do you, provided the waist and hips fit. All you would need to do is have a custom bulkhead put in when you order it. I have found that our boats (P&H)have a good enough distance for legs your length but you would remove the footbraces and put a bit of padding on the bulkhead to use it for foot support.

As for a specific boat I would suggest, it would be the Capella 173. It’s big (23" and 17’3") but for a person your size, it will have great performance.

Impex Assateague
You should by all means try the Impex Assateague. I am 6’1”, 230lbs and size 12.5 shoes (depending on the model of the shoe, size 13) and this is one great kayak for larger people, very responsive and maneuverable. The medium chines are very reassuring, it is a very easy boat to roll and it tracks pretty well, with the skeg down, it is like a train.

I demoed the Gulfstream as well before buying the Assateague and I really liked that boat too, very comfortable and very responsive, but the Assateague give you a better fit for your feet and I really don’t like the plastic bulkheads on the Gulfstream, someone a short while ago posted a note in this forum relating a cracked plastic bulkhead in a Gulfstream. The Sirocco is the RM sister model of the Gulfstream and a good choice if a plastic kayak is your goal – check the feet fit though.

An added bonus when you go with the Assateague is Impex’s impeccable customer service. These people care for their clients and do take their time to talk to you.

The Assateague is a boat that at least deserves a serious try by anyone looking for a kayak for larger paddlers.

Many boats will fit you
if, as has been said, elsewhere, you remove the footpegs and pad the front bulkhead. Admittedly, I’m only 6’3" but this method leaves me room to spare in most boats I have tried.

I’m not
as big or tall as you, at 195 and 6’, but with the footpegs adjusted for me in my Old Town Nantucket, I have them slightly toward the stern of their midpoint. There is at least 6 or 7 inches of forward adjustment available. I re-read your original post and it seems as if this kayak falls into the category of use you indicated. HTH.

KAYAK FOR SIZE 13 SHOES
I HAVE A ENLIGHTENED KAYAK T16. I WEIGHT 230 POUNDS AND FIND THIS A GOOD FIT. ITS LIGHT ABOUT 46 TO 48 LBS. IS DESIGNED BY JOHN WINTERS WHO DESIGNED QCC KAYAKS. I DONT HAVE A RUDDER AND FIND IT COMFORTABLE AND CONTROLABLE ON LAKES AND BAYOUS IN NORTHERN LA. MIKE THE OWNER IS HONEST AND WILL TELL YOU IF THIS KAYAK WILL NOT PROVIDE WHAT YOU NEED AND OFFERS A 30 DAY TRIAL. THIS KAYAK MAY NOT BE WHAT YOU NEED, BUT ITS DEFINITELY WORTH CHECKING INTO!!!