I just finished two back to back sessions of cursing at those original charming RDF’s, so the old Romany now has not-rotten deck lines and some shock cord that actually has tension. But I decided to go after the not-working rope skeg while I was at it since the skeg line was equally bad, and I suspect the shock cord I used there is a smidge too thick for it to operate well. I used the leftover from redoing the deck bungies on the Romany and the Vela.
It is functional enough for my needs right now, I can pull it down to partial skeg by hand and pull it up if I get out there and I went too far. But the easily dropping part is what is not working and I suspect the thickness of the bungies. If I can improve this behavior with thinner shock cord, I can replenish my supply of colorful language and change it up in the next few weeks. And I know know which diameter of meat skewer to tape the bungies to so they will feed thru the hole, as well as identifying the socket size I need to loosen the surface mount holder for the ends of the bungies in this tool-free rope skeg system.
But if a thinner bungie is not going to alter things, I will live with this and save the colorful stuff for when I start working on my roll again in a couple of weeks.