Recycling work shirts

One of my little retirement Joys is using beat up old work shirts for paddling. Frayed collars and cuffs and the blue one with the horsie is torn all the way up one side. Comfy and perfect for paddling on hot days and the collars give a little extra sun protection for your neck. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

ALL my shirts look like that… :sunglasses:

2 Likes

LOL, my wife won’t let 'em get to that point. They seem to just 'disappear.

1 Like

Girls are paying top dollar for jeans that are worn out like that. You might be on to the next big thing in boat wear.

I had a few ball caps that were about that far gone and she was throwing them out until I showed her people were paying extra for that look.

Jeans, hats why not shirts. :canoe:

2 Likes

I use them and holey socks—washed—for auto and bike rags, and to wipe dry the kayak after hosing it down post-paddle.

We’re out to see
the man’s in distress
not quite torn ass under
that rock bottom of dress

and doyennes domestic
upon subject shan’t skirt
canoe not play such a role
wholly dressed by that shirt.

1 Like

I’d never wear cotton.

I have a LL Bean Hurricane shirt, green. That is mu lucky hunting shirt. I have worn it hunting more than any other. I wore it hunting only because my chocolate Lab puppy ate half of the collar, and 1.5 pockets when the shirt wasnt very old. I couldnt see tossing a tossing a warn shirt out, so it hid in the basement with the hunting stuff.

I got in the habit of buying $4 white shirts at Goodwill for paddling. Usually with an ink spot on the pocket. (PFD hides that) I’m not going to a fashion show and I know I’m gonna beat the heck out of them anyhow… and then, after a while when they get looking a bit like yours, use them to polish the boat or oil the gunwales. I like cotton shirts in summer. Just soak them and put them back on - it saves all that trouble of sweating.

1 Like