reentry and roll

Seems to be some good questions about rolling lately.

My own experience was that I struggled with a consistent roll until I decided to try a reentry and roll, this made me more comfortable and more in tune with some of the dynamics that were evading me. Anyone else have similar experiences?

I think it’d be great if this was taught concurrently with rolling.

I should try it, although because of my
size, re-entry can be more difficult. Still, my touring kayak does not have a front wall…

I’ve been curious about that one
What do you do? Do you swim under the kayak, get in upside down under water and then roll up?

my lazy a** technique
First time I tried it, I floated on my back, head to bow, feet to stern, on the left side of the boat (I’m a lefty). I held the paddle against the coaming with my left hand. Then, I started trying to sneak my feet and legs into the cockpit while trying to maintain my float, which caused my body to drift outwards, I had to bend my torso to maintain contact with the boat. Once my legs were in as far as I could get them, I took a breath, pulled myself close with the coaming while submerging and wiggling the rest of the way in. Then I got out. Repeated a few times and ended the last one with a roll setup and roll.

Mind you, this is from recollection but the getting in and out helped me with dynamics and comfort underwater. Since then I’ve adopted the more acceptable underwater somersault into the boat, but really, at the time I just decided to try and do it.

somersault?
This sport is much more acrobatic than I realized going in :wink:

Thanks for the “lazy technique” description. Sounds like something I could try a bit later on in my technique development.

nahh
It’s nothing, just practice.

Orientation
I practiced the re-enter and roll in the pool last winter. With the Euro paddle I had problems with the paddle diving or I’d get the power face the wrong way. With the Greenland paddle it was 100% success every time.

I like to somersault in. However it seems like the last time I did one I just pulled the boat on like a pair of pants and it worked fine.

Can you roll kayak with water in cockpit
I’ve been curious about this technique. Can you reenter and roll with just your paddle, or do you need the paddle float attached because of the water sloshing around in the cockpit? I’m assuming this is all taking place minus the spray skirt.

I’m interested because I think it would help me get a feel for the mechanics of the roll. I had a whitewater boat roll down about 12 years ago, but when I tried it in my sea kayak about a week ago, I had forgotten how. I only came about 3/4 up and think I was lifting my head up too soon. I haven’t had a chance to try it again with someone there to tip me back up each time I don’t make it, so the reenter and roll might be just the thing.

It’s no harder
with a flooded cockpit to roll – it IS harder to stay upright afterwards, though.

My favored re-entry is to get in upside down, and let 'er rip. One of my boats has a pseudo ocean cockpit (Betsie Bay), which makes it harder (IMO) to do with the boat on it’s side. I find it much easier in that boat to start completely inverted. YMMV.

Re-entry
Back when I paddled a lot of WW, I used to spend time at a local lake practicing entering underwater and rolling up without a skirt. Sure helped my roll become better.

Never had to use the technique on a river run, but was out on another lake one evening and kept getting buzzed by a powerboater. He thought it was great fun to turn tight circles around my yak and cause waves. The waves were fun but the noise was annoying. After he came back the third time, I waited until he made waves then turned over the yak, crawled out and put my head up into the cockpit where there was some air trapped. I could hear him idling the boat in a circle around my overturned yak, waiting for me to surface. Finally he gunned it and headed up the lake and away from me. I crawled back in the cockpit, rolled up, paddled to the shore, emptied the yak and enjoyed the rest of the evening in solitude. I bet he checked the newspapers for days afterward, to see if a body had been found.

Yes
But minus the spray skirt you will be doing alot of pumping.

!!!
That is the best story I’ve read in a long time.

I think it’s easier
But, yes, harder to stay up. Paddling a boat full of water is very good to practice anyway.

I like the feet-on-the seat swivel:

Get beside your overturned boat facing the stern. Reach under the boat to grab the coaming with your hand nearest the boat and hold the paddle and the near side coaming with the other hand. That puts your hands on the proper side of the boat for when you are in it.

Either tilt the boat on its side or submerse yourself upside down and put your feet on the seat. Swivel around until your feet are pointing to the bow and you are kind of crouched above the seat. Then slide your feet in to the foot pegs and pull your butt into the seat. Roll up, and Bob’s your uncle! (as the Brits say)

slide in vs sommersault
The only thing you have to be aware of is that the drysuit / pfd flotation can make it impossible to get under the boat to do the sommersault type of R & R.

Give the slide in from the side variation a try too.

Difficult
Its hard to do side re-entry in high seas. Try keepig float on deck and staying in your boat.

If you don’t have a good roll, when yu capsize, slip float on your paddleblade, extend and roll up.