Registration

I live in Illinois and Im buying inflatable kayak from guy in Indiana. He never registered him kayak so when I pick up the kayak, I will not have his registration paperwork since he never registered it. Then I wont know if he has a lien on the kayak.

What should I do and will I be able to register the kayak with DNR?

Heh!

– Last Updated: Jul-16-12 3:08 PM EST –

"Then I wont know if he has a lien on the kayak."

That's funny! No one would put a lien on a kayak.

"What should I do and will I be able to register the kayak with DNR?"

At most, you'd need proof of purchase (but you might not even need that).

The point of registering a boat is to make it legal to use (you don't need to register a boat just for owning it).

Seriously?

– Last Updated: Jul-16-12 3:12 PM EST –

You're worried about a lien?

Indiana apparently doesn't require that non-powered boats be registered. http://www.dmv.org/in-indiana/boat-registration.php

So get a bill of sale from the guy that clearly shows that he is an Indiana resident.

Then follow the Illinois process for registering a previously registered in another state boat, include a copy of the bill of sale and a note explaining that the prior owner lived in Indiana where it is not a requirement to register non-powered boats.

Don't forget to include a check for the Illinois registration - since that is all the Illinois will really be interested in.

I see.
That might be one of the funniest things I’ve ever heard…

Please don’t tell me you’re taking out a loan to buy this 'yak, as I assume this is the only way you could have come to the previous assumption of them having a lien…

The point of registering a boat is to
fill Illinois state coffers. A more rational system would have a paddling license, like a fishing or hunting license. License the user, not the boat, rod, or gun.

Two sides

– Last Updated: Jul-16-12 5:42 PM EST –

The registration is a barrier/hurdle to the -use- of the boat (from the boat owner's perspective, that's the point).

It's irrelevant to merely owning the boat.

What the point is from the DNR perspective isn't useful or important to the original poster.

In Iowa…
Just make sure you have a bill of sale. Or if you forget to get one from the seller make up your own before going to the court house.

In Iowa there’s then a form to fill out stating that the boat in question has never been registered in a previous state blah, blah, blah. Strangely enough the seller doesn’t have to sign the form, only you, the buyer.

Alan

A bit bizarre

http://www.boat-ed.com/ia/handbook/register.htm

“All vessels 17 feet long or longer must have a title when purchased new, transferred, or a lien exists against the vessel. Inflatables, kayaks, and canoes are exempt from titling.”

“A vessel that has an expired registration certificate from another state may be registered in Iowa when the owner submits the proper application, payment of all applicable registration and writing fees, and payment of a $5.00 penalty.”

Get a bill of sale including all of the
seller information that’s required on the IL registration form and you shouldn’t have any problem. I’ve yet to have any problems using that approach.

Fill coffers? Not likely.
It probably cost them more to process the registration form than they bring in from the fee.

But they don’t know that. And the hole
process makes them look busy to legislators.

Bill of sale and Power of attorney
I bought a kayak off craiglist in IL. I found I needed a bill of sale and Power of Attorney form from the seller.

Thats what one officer told me at least.

Contradictory?
Higher up on that page it says:

“You must have an Iowa Registration Certificate and registration decals to operate a vessel on Iowa’s public waters legally. Exceptions to registration are:

Inflatable vessels that are 7 feet or less in length

Canoes and kayaks that are 13 feet or less in length and have no motor or sail”

My courthouse goes by the 13’ of less rule.

Alan

Not contradictory
Many laws state the general case and provide exceptions.

“All must except …”.

What’s bizarre is that you have to pay a penalty for an expired registration in another state.

I only needed a power of attorney form
when the original title had been lost, but that was about 10 years ago.

I feel like an outlaw
I’ve got five kayaks, and not a one of them is registered.

Sure is nice not to live in Hitlerville.

no kidding
My kayak is already ugly enough.

half and half

– Last Updated: Jul-17-12 4:49 PM EST –

Only about half of mine are registered. I usually don't worry about it unless I'm taking one on a trip away from my standard waters where the DNR don't generally spend any time.

It's only $4/year here anyway (tags are good for 3 years). Not a real big deal and if a boat gets stolen I can go the courthouse and get the HID number since I'm no good at keeping my own records. Thankfully that hasn't been necessary yet.

I do like the idea of a paddling license that was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Alan

I’ve got a new Dutch oven bowrudder,

– Last Updated: Jul-17-12 9:14 PM EST –

I'll bake you a cake(with hacksaw in the middle)...and'll have you out(of the pen) in a week......

i would move
Out of principle before I had to register something without a motor.

Ryan L.