Removing a stripped screw?

I have a Precision Pescador yak. One of the side handles broke off and the bow handle is worn through and could break at anytime. I got replacement handles and when I went to remove the old handles, one of the screws came right out but the other just spins. Any suggestions to remove them and still be able to screw them back in to hold the new handles?

Sometimes a narrow vice grip or pliers can be used to grip the screw head and simultaneously pull and twist to get it out.

The screw itself is probably fine. It’s the hole the screw is in that the threads are likely stripped out of.

If you can oversize the screw upon reassembly, it might be enough to bite into some plastic. I don’t think any adhesive is going to help much, except for maybe the “magical” G-Flex epoxy, but good luck getting the plastic prepared properly when it’s down inside a hole. If you can go all the way through, you might be able to nut-and-bolt it - with the nut being on the inside of the kayak. You’ll have to add some sealant to keep water out if you go this route.

Pictures would probably help so that I’m not just guessing blind.

If you can wedge a knife blade under the screw head to make contact with the shaft, the screw threads will ride up the edge of the knife blade as you turn the screwdriver.
To replace, I’d either oversize the screw or use rivets.

@tjalmy said:
If you can wedge a knife blade under the screw head to make contact with the shaft, the screw threads will ride up the edge of the knife blade as you turn the screwdriver.
To replace, I’d either oversize the screw or use rivets.

This is what I would try first, a putty knife works well for this also.