Repair on Glass blade paddle edges

Purchased a used Werner Camano, got a deal on it as it’s seen some “use”… see photos.

I’ve heard about using Epoxy to fill in slight chips or small cracks… searched the forum and didn’t really see much in this topic other than wood blades.

Anyone done similar repairs after doing some damage?

Yes, I repaired a ww glass paddle that had been used like yours. Worked fine. Make sure it’s very clean and rough spots are gently sanded with very fine grit.

1 Like

And how exactly did you do your repairs?

As previously mentioned, clean the blade well. I use rubbing alcohol or you can use whatever is recommended. Then put a very, very light coating of epoxy along the edges. I’ve used a Q-tip to apply and then quickly wipe it down for a very, very thin coating. Think sheet of paper thin. You do not want any build up or puddling of the epoxy. Personally, I mix up West Marine G-flex epoxy but any marine grade epoxy will work.

Check a couple YouTube videos on working with epoxy. It is easy. You will not need much for the edges of your paddle. Be sure to clean it first and let it dry/cure for a few days. Oh, be sure to work outdoors or in a well ventilated location, i.e. a garage.

You have a lot of options including doing nothing. I agree with kayakhank’s Q-tip approach. YouTube will give you even more options. If you want to give those edges a lot of extra protection you could buy this product. With the thicker edge the paddle might not be quite as quiet if that matters to you.

The same company sells “high performance edge tape” (whatever that is). There’s also a YouTube video that shows how to give an edge a little protection using electrical tape. That could help make sure those dings and chips don’t grow. Electrical tape is the easiest approach and it’s super easy to re-do it as necessary.

You do not have much damage.

I use a lot of MAS epoxy with “Slow” hardner. It would give a clear finish but not RV protection. I also use West Marine 105 with 206 hardner. Might give a “yellowish” color. Don’t thing that is much of a problem the blades look dark.

I would hand sand with 100 grit to smooth/feather the edges of the chips etc and maybe an inch back on the blade. This eliminates stress points and makes it smoother. Sanding into or through the glass fabric is bad. Mix up clear epoxy without fillers. Wipe the surface to with denatured acohol to remove, dust, oil, etc.
" Paint" it on with a small brush like an acid brush. Read chip brush throw away. Do just the sanded areas. Once “dry” 12-24 hrs sand with 120 then 220grit. Make smooth and get any drips you did. Coat entire area with automotive clear, marine varnish or Krylon Fusion clear spray paint made for plastic. The clear paints provide RV protection.

If the blade is thick ask me about adding a fiberglass reinforcing to the edge. But I think this is a thin blade.

Buying the smallest quantity possible of epoxy resin might be cost-prohibitive, but since it’s “just a paddle” and nothing structural, would it be possible to spread a regular 2-part epoxy glue out thin enough to make a decent looking surface? You could get some slow-cure, waterproof glue for $10 or so. I’m just thinking that since the OP probably got the paddle pretty cheap, he may not want to spend a lot on resin.

True…I buy epoxy in gallon sizes.

If the op wants a cheap fix. Just go paddle. Nothing was very serious. OP wanted to know how others fixed it.

1 Like

West Marine G-flex 650 is not cost prohibitive to me in the small containers. Plus, if properly sealed after use, it will last for use again years later.

West System 650-8 G/flex Toughened Epoxy, two, 4.5 fl oz for $21.94 at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/WEST-SYSTEM-flex-Epoxy-4oz/dp/B002IZFPQE

Have used this for several small repairs over the past 6 years and still have about 1/3 of each container. PS - That’s about $15 less than when I bought it in the retail store several years ago.

1 Like

Second the Gflex. I have used it to repair a boat hull and for paddle blade repair.

1 Like