repair poly paddle?

Hello,

I have a kayak paddle that has a 2" triangle piece broken out of the tip of the blade. The blade is black plastic, I think it’s polyethylene. I would like to repair it by gluing in a piece of another paddle (same material).

Does anyone know of a glue, epoxy, or plastic weld stuff etc. that works for polyethylene? Most of the 5 minute or 24 hour 2 part epoxies and plastic weld at the hardware store say on the package “does not bond to polyethylene”.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

ACS

repair plastic paddle
whoops, after doing more research I think the blade is polypropylene.

3M Scotch Weld DP 8005
One of the few adhesives that will bond polymostanything.

Available from Grainger’s. But the cost of the glue and the required mixing nozzles and “gun” may be close to the cost of a new plastic paddle.

paddle repair
MintJulep, Thanks for the reply. I was afraid of that. What I have read so far the choices seem to be the very expensive glue, using a heat gun or a hot glue gun. Not sure if the glue stick is strong enough but that might be the place to start…

Has anyone else repaired a plastic paddle?

Thanks

3M Scotch Weld DP 8005

Posted by: MintJulep on Jul-12-05 9:49 PM (EST)

One of the few adhesives that will bond polymostanything.

Available from Grainger’s. But the cost of the glue and the required mixing nozzles and “gun” may be close to the cost of a new plastic paddle.

paddle repair
Has anyone tried a hot glue stick for paddle blade repair?

Thanks

Hot Glue Works Great…

…on Christmas ornaments.

Buy a new paddle…

plastic repair
If the paddle IS polyethelyne, then you can weld it using a piece of polyethelyne as a welding rod. Also, there is such a thing as polyethelyne hot glue. It requires a special hotter hot glue gun. Don’t try to use it in a hobbyists gun. It will get it hot enough to plug up the gun but it won’t flow.

If your paddle happens to be ABS plastic, you can simply use ABS cement. To test, try a dab on the blade to see if softens the plastic and then hardens again.

bdox