Repairing and protecting kayak

Looking for advice. My wife and I are in no way to level kayakers and barely have time to get away. We are making plans for a fall trip locally in Louisiana. We don’t own top notch kayaks, we own fishing kayaks because we use them for both, fun and fishing. My question is: somehow my wife has acquired quite a large gouge on the skeg of her kayak. I saw a post from quite a few years ago regarding rhino lining on canoes / kayaks. With the advance in technology could I use the spray on bed liner (from a can and is no thicker than spray paint) on the skeg the seal and protect it. We have decided to no longer drag our kayaks due to the damage.

Well unfortunately you learned the hard way not to drag your kayaks! Fortunately this is repairable. My first instinct is that if you have a significant gouge that has reduced the hull thickness, you want to replace that thickness. A thin layer of bed liner may not do that, and I don’t know how well it would adhere anyway.

Knowing exactly what kind of boats you have (which will determine which kind of plastic they are made from) and a photo or two of the damage (definitely worth a thousand words) would be very helpful in giving specific repair ideas.

1 Like

Brodie, he said it was on the skeg, not the hull.

1 Like

Yes, but since they are fishing kayaks, I’m thinking by “skeg” he is referring to the aft end of the hull, not a drop down skeg. But more reason for photos!

3 Likes

Got it.

@am_obrien78 - I am with the others - not quite sure what you are talking about. Please take a couple of photos and attach here so we can see.

I am guessing that when you refer to skeg, you are not talking a drop down fin, but the area f the molded kayak at the stern? And that the kayak is a rotomolded kayak, so made of polyethylene?

If this is the case, the fix is plastic welding.

I have successfully filled scratches, gouges, and dents in plastic kayaks and canoes with JB Weld. It is a two-part epoxy that sets up with good fill. Hard as a rock when it sets up, and it can be sanded smooth.

Jay

Try Gator Guard, costly but works terrific and protects a larger area.

Ok, first a skeg is not a hull, and like past post if this is plastic, can easily be filled in with melted plastic and sanded. Just get a few bottle caps from plastic jugs and slowly with a heat gun, melt them to fill in with a putty knife. Then once filled and cooled, use some 80 grit sand paper to smooth it out.

1 Like